• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

London Coin Fair 1st June

Message added by ChrisSilver

See @terakris‘s post here in regards to TSF stickers and easily finding each other at the fair: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/21469-london-coin-fair-1st-june/?do=findComment&comment=260577

This is the first time I can attend so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few queries.  

Is there a chance of better deals if paying with cash?  From past experience is there haggling to be done or are dealers firm on prices? Do most venders have card machines? 

I’m after a $5 US indian head gold coin, what price would I expect to pay for this? The US prices online are so much cheaper than Euro/UK.m

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say cash is always an incentive for a better deal.

Yes, you can haggle on price. Some dealers are more flexible with price than others.

Prices tend to be more expensive than online.

I have found some have card machines and some do not.

Andreas Afeldt at The Coin Cabinet allowed me to take the coin I was after and pay by bank transfer when I got home as he didn't have a card machine and I didn't have enough cash.

I would offer the $5 dollar face value and go from there!!! 😄

I really want to go as well, it's going to be my first time as well.

my problem is that I am sooo busy with work every Saturday but finally I have trained somebody trustworthy to cover for me so I can take some Saturdays off from now, so hopefully ill attend this one, I am really excited about it.

A lot of people tent to pay with Cash from what I've seen, I've never tried to pay with a card there. There are deals to be had I think, and helps if you get chatting to some of the dealers. I'll be going but just cos im in London that weekend, leaving the wallet at home! ;) 

3 hours ago, goluckystayhappy said:

Do they grade them while you wait or is it just a drop off service and they post them back to you.

the latter, although their return shipping options are very limited. pick up is best.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Hi,

This is my first ever comment on this forum so please forgive me if I am talking anything unconventional.
I will also be attending the coin show and would suggest that if enough forum members are attending and if would like to meet other members then how about meeting in the hotel’s lobby a little before the show starts. The members can also bring any coins if they want to sell. This will give an opportunity to meet each other and to see the coins physically as well. We never know this may initiate to arrange a collectors show anytime in future where collectors can enjoy to see the different collections and may provide a chance to exchange/sell coins in a traditional way. 

Some members already know each other so meet up, others like myself dont know anyone by face but am happy to meet some if we can identify each other. ill wear a red carnation and be in a penguin suit... the code phrase to use is "if a sovereign is sold for less than spot, does that make it happy".

2 hours ago, BullProof said:

Hi,

This is my first ever comment on this forum so please forgive me if I am talking anything unconventional.
I will also be attending the coin show and would suggest that if enough forum members are attending and if would like to meet other members then how about meeting in the hotel’s lobby a little before the show starts. The members can also bring any coins if they want to sell. This will give an opportunity to meet each other and to see the coins physically as well. We never know this may initiate to arrange a collectors show anytime in future where collectors can enjoy to see the different collections and may provide a chance to exchange/sell coins in a traditional way. 

Welcome to the forum from Sweden

39 minutes ago, universalcurrency said:

Do they do english and world banknotes at the fair....

Btw Im not talking about readies in your pocket.😀

Yeah all sorts going by last time, coins, notes, metals and other bits too.

Last time i was there i got a 2005 4 coin sovereign set. Paid £2500 sent it off to ngc got a pf70 cam on the 5 sovereign. Now worth say £2000 on its own. Pf69 on the other 3 so well happy with that. Ps got it from the bloke upstairs that has about million pound stall lol the one with loads of modern coins. Think the is a four coin set on here for £2500 its a 2002 proof set. Good buy worth picking up and grading. 

1 hour ago, Goldmick said:

Yes im in. Will be looking for young head shields lol. We need to work out a way to meet 

Yeah... I'll be easy to spot. I'll be with the angry looking woman... kinda imagine the face of a woman being dragged to a coin fair on their birthday weekend trip to London.... I'll be the sheepish looking one next to her.

Archived