• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is the best size gold to stack?

Serendipity

I like the Britannia gold coins in 1/4 oz or the 1/10 oz size. Some very low mintages in these. But do not forget any gold coins with four 9's (.9999 fine gold) People in some areas prefer these over other gold coins. I think the American gold eagle is over rated.

Stack gold according to the size of your free pocket. Deep free pockets enjoy lowest premium. Shallow free pockets prefer liquidity. Free size pocket enjoy flexibility.

I like the design of sovereigns as many people in here do. But for some reason i dislike their colour and the fact that they are not pure gold. I like 1/4oz Britannia's especially the newer proof ones! And of course the Queens beasts. Nothing better than pure gold :)    

On 06/05/2019 at 15:40, NorthEast said:

I stack for the most part 1 oz gold pieces. Cheaper premium verse buying 4 quarter oz pieces and honestly, who doesn't love a nice big gold coin/round? haha

Since the premium is higher, on the 1/4 oz, won´t the sale price also be higher? Say in 10 years time...

22 minutes ago, ManWithNoName said:

Since the premium is higher, on the 1/4 oz, won´t the sale price also be higher? Say in 10 years time...

I have seen sellers here struggle to sell 1 oz and half oz gold coins at spot - but the 1/4 oz and below always fly even with 10% premium. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

If you were looking to sell back your gold to other forum users or ebay I can see where the fractional might be easier to move.. Myself, when I sell I plan on selling to large retailers like Provident, APMEX etc so I am not so worried about moving a larger piece of metal when the time comes.. 

23 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I have seen sellers here struggle to sell 1 oz and half oz gold coins at spot - but the 1/4 oz and below always fly even with 10% premium. 

I´m stacking for retirement, and have alot of silver, so i´m going for gold now. 🙂 ( Will still buy silver though) 😉

I think 1/4 to 1 oz will be my choice, since they free up enough fiat, that i won´t have to sell coins every week.

If i need more fiat, i sell 1 oz, and less, maybe 1/4 oz.. Thats my plan.. 

Sovereigns seem to be the logical choice as pure bullion but if you're willing to pay maybe 1% more over spot then the 1oz Queen's Beasts coins must surely be worth considering given their potential semi-numismatic resale value. It's difficult to imagine them not being worth at least 1% more over spot than a sovereign in the years to come, although obviously you'd need to sell them carefully, not just take them to a local dealer as scrap metal.

I usually think fractionally, so that's how I tend to stack. And I like "real" money so the bulk of my stack is denominated coins rather than bullion mintage.

So for gold it's pre-1933 US Eagles and halves and quarters (ie-1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/8 oz), or similar sizes from the Mexican or other mint (sovereigns, pesos, etc). 

On 09/05/2019 at 12:07, FoolzGold said:

Sovereigns seem to be the logical choice as pure bullion but if you're willing to pay maybe 1% more over spot then the 1oz Queen's Beasts coins must surely be worth considering given their potential semi-numismatic resale value. It's difficult to imagine them not being worth at least 1% more over spot than a sovereign in the years to come, although obviously you'd need to sell them carefully, not just take them to a local dealer as scrap metal.

Considering they sell 10% over spot in general and up to 30% I would say they are a numismatic play not a gold investment play

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

39 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Considering they sell 10% over spot in general and up to 30% I would say they are a numismatic play not a gold investment play

Checking the pricing on GSBe just now a random QEII sovereign is priced at 2.6% over spot. The QB Yale is at 4.6%. So, okay you're paying 2 points more for the QB, although actually only 1.2% more in real terms. That's a pretty small extra margin for what you can hope will be a much more significant boost when you sell the gold in the future.

I would categorize a purely numismatic investment as one where the initial margin is significantly higher than this and where the resale value is based more on the scarcity/desirability/shininess of the coin than its PM content.

For me the QB is a semi-numismatic investment, where the initial extra margin is a very small percentage over spot and you expect the resale value will largely follow the value of gold but with the added bonus of an extra margin over spot on resale that should hopefully equal or exceed that initial margin at purchase time.

Basically, while the QB series is ongoing I personally believe that investing in the latest 1oz gold QB is going to yield a better return that investing the same sum in sovereigns. I wouldn't argue that for other bullion coins, and I could be wrong about the QBs but that's my personal feeling.

Archived