• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Would you buy sovereigns from Harrington & Byrne.

Wolves

Would you buy sovereigns from Harrington & Byrne.  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy sovereigns from Harrington & Byrne.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/04/19 at 18:24

Never again. Their delivery/product/price for three bullion Sovs was great but...

In a perhaps (!) completely unrelated matter you know how you sometimes read about vulnerable folk who have been hard-sold many thousands of pounds of coins that will 'make them a fortune, and set their family up for life' when they eventually sell on but when the time comes the family find out they have lost tens of thousands? We are too canny on here but many are not. I caouldn't support such a company if I came across one myself.

Likewise I've had a few off them. 

apart from one phone call and initially a load of 'junk' mail (my fault as I never ticked the right box 're correspondence) I've not heard from them again.

13 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

No problem at all, if i wanted the product they were selling. Would give me chance to mess with their salesperson when they phoned me😉

Oh I had lots of fun on the phone, I enjoyed it so much I kept the guy chatting for an hour! I was delighted to find out that my 1989 half sov is worth a grand, and you can make big money on a gold Gruffalo even buying them at £1500. I also enjoyed correcting the chap on mintages :)

After the call though he had been so 'persuasive' I thought it was shocking, many naive folk would fall for such spiel. Who doesn't want to double or quadruple their money in the short term?

Their offers do make me chuckle though! The funniest one so far was a 2016 bullion Brit, Kook, Roo (Perth), Panda, Philly and ASE 'collection' boxed with COA (what on earth!) for a 'bargain price' of £200 🤣

5 hours ago, Derv said:

apart from one phone call and initially a load of 'junk' mail (my fault as I never ticked the right box 're correspondence) I've not heard from them again.

Ticking the box makes no difference they will still send you marketing materials 

38 minutes ago, Coolsmp said:

Ticking the box makes no difference they will still send you marketing materials 

It seems hit and miss, I opted out of everything and told them on the phone not to send me anything, yet I get stuff every other day. No biggie, I am saving the pre-paid return envelopes up for a 'nice surprise' their end :P

6 minutes ago, JosephM said:

Ive recieved 10+ letters and each one straight to the bin i dont even open them. Still happy with the coins :)

As long as you trust your postie and in fact the whole RM system (very posh, obviously premium, letters with their name on the outside - 10 seconds on google to tell anyone you may well buy very expensive gold proofs at thousands of pounds each to that address) and shred any personally-identifying stuff (I live in quite a rich area so our paper recyclable rubbish is sometimes nicked) this is fine(ish) I reckon.

4 hours ago, Coolsmp said:

It's worked so far since un listing myself a fortnight ago.

Up until that point I was getting a couple of letters a week!

After receiving a phone call from a sales guy (who basically told me I was an idiot for buying bullion) I’ve heard nothing, no post at all  

Delivery was a bit slow from a UK vendor, but nice coins, nice price with nice packaging. 

Yes, when I’ve got the funds ready for another couple of sovereigns I will try them again, although I hear some returning customers are having their orders cancelled. 

9 hours ago, kimchi said:

After the call though he had been so 'persuasive' I thought it was shocking, many naive folk would fall for such spiel.

I have previously mentioned the coins my late father in law purchased from these cowboys. He and his friend were both roped in to their up-selling to the extent that his friend remarked to my wife after the funeral that "xxxxx (their H&B salesman) has been really good to us"!🙄

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

13 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I have previously mentioned the coins my late father in law purchased from these cowboys. He and his friend were both roped in to their up-selling to the extent that his friend remarked to my wife after the funeral that "xxxxx (their H&B salesman) has been really good to us"!🙄

Very sorry indeed to hear that :( Thank you for sharing though.

On 21/04/2019 at 22:02, sovereignsteve said:

Did you hear about this and convince them to stop or was this all to late?  Sometimes people don't want to believe you and think they are getting better advice from these companies.  There seem to be more than a few that charge ridiculous prices and often for coins of lower purity and minted in small islands names.

It saddens me that they must sell enough to keep a number of companies profitable and often, it seems to older people.  Maybe that's just because they are more likely to have money they can afford to 'invest'.

Yes, I have bought the cheapest sovereign and 1/4oz krugerrand from H&B. However, it’s a marketing ploy to sell you their ridiculously overpriced proof coins. You’ll end up getting bombarded with unwanted phone calls and/or mail literally everyday. It was a nightmare dreading their next letter. I was inundated with so much of their junk mail that I wondered if they were the major cause of deforestation in the Amazon. Made me suicidal. I eventually got H&B off my back by sending them a cease-and-desist letter. Nothing I’ve said should detract from the fact that the sovereign and krugerrand I bought from H&B are my best bargain buys.

On 21/04/2019 at 12:43, kimchi said:

Oh I had lots of fun on the phone, I enjoyed it so much I kept the guy chatting for an hour! I was delighted to find out that my 1989 half sov is worth a grand, and you can make big money on a gold Gruffalo even buying them at £1500. I also enjoyed correcting the chap on mintages :)

After the call though he had been so 'persuasive' I thought it was shocking, many naive folk would fall for such spiel. Who doesn't want to double or quadruple their money in the short term?

Their offers do make me chuckle though! The funniest one so far was a 2016 bullion Brit, Kook, Roo (Perth), Panda, Philly and ASE 'collection' boxed with COA (what on earth!) for a 'bargain price' of £200 🤣

Yes, the £200 silver bullion collection was one of the offers H&B bombarded me with before I sent them a cease-and-desist letter. I totally agree with you that it is shocking how many naive folk fall for such spiel which is a good way of phrasing it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2019 at 11:00, Derv said:

Well...that lasted all of what, barely a fortnight. 

That's three letters this week, so far...

Archived