• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Austrian MT Thaler restrikes

samandglove1

How often do members see the Maria Theresa Thalers in your local shops?  They are not very common in the local stores in New England, but when you do see them they never cost much more than the actual silver value.  I realize that the originals may be more expensive, but the restrikes  have been continuously produced for years.  Are they priced accordingly in the UK/EU, or do they carry a premium over junk?  I'd love to buy handfuls of them instead of always just picking up US junk silver, for a little variety.  Thanks.

They used to be fairly common and obviously cheaper than buying 1oz silver coins but lately I have seen them going for higher prices on eBay.

Collecting them and trying to find different varieties would certainly keep you entertained for a long while.  Good luck in finding any of the less common or older restrikes.

You don’t realise how lucky you are being able to go into banks and exchange cash for coin rolls that are fairly likely to contain some silver coins.

Even before they demonetised the older coins here the chances of you coming across a pre 1947 50% silver coin in change was pretty low.

On 17/04/2019 at 18:06, samandglove1 said:

How often do members see the Maria Theresa Thalers in your local shops?  They are not very common in the local stores in New England, but when you do see them they never cost much more than the actual silver value.  I realize that the originals may be more expensive, but the restrikes  have been continuously produced for years.  Are they priced accordingly in the UK/EU, or do they carry a premium over junk?  I'd love to buy handfuls of them instead of always just picking up US junk silver, for a little variety.  Thanks.

They still carry a 20-30% premium despite the volume in which they exist. I am lucky I have a dealer that sells to me at reasonable prices. I often list BU versions for sale in the forum- recently sold 20 of them. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

9 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

They still carry a 20-30% premium despite the volume in which they exist. I am lucky I have a dealer that sells to me at reasonable prices. I often list BU versions for sale in the forum- recently sold 20 of them. 

I will keep a lookout for your future posts....

I'd love to find 25-50 of them locally, just so I can play with them (no kidding).  They remind me of pirate silver.  I know we're really lucky in the US to be able to buy pre-1964 silver coins almost anywhere at reasonable prices, but I would trade a bunch of Franklins, Kennedys or Mercury dimes for a sackful of Thalers.

41 minutes ago, samandglove1 said:

I will keep a lookout for your future posts....

I'd love to find 25-50 of them locally, just so I can play with them (no kidding).  They remind me of pirate silver.  I know we're really lucky in the US to be able to buy pre-1964 silver coins almost anywhere at reasonable prices, but I would trade a bunch of Franklins, Kennedys or Mercury dimes for a sackful of Thalers.

Maybe next time I get some we can trade. Always interested in Franklin and Kennedy 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

• 3 months later...
On 17/04/2019 at 18:06, samandglove1 said:

I realize that the originals may be more expensive, but the restrikes  have been continuously produced for years.

For hundered of years to be exact 😎

I've got a couple of heavily circulated ones, quite possibly from the Middle East or Africa in the 50s. How do you identify what's what, what are restrikes and where from and when, and which are originals? Is there a good online resource?

Fascinating/lovely coins for me :)

Archived