• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Here's an interesting offer, gold for silver exchange

I asked a question to the forum about if it was a good time to exchange your gold for silver given the high ratio right now.

So here's an offer...I have one gold sovereign I can afford to let go....I'll post a picture of it soon...as I'm not able to this second but I have one I'll select from my jiggle fund (loose coins I like to jiggle in a velvet bag)...anywho, let's see if this gets some interesting responses.

I will swap this sovereign for a tube of 20 American Silver Eagles....straight exchange, you cover the shipping on your end and I cover it on mine...so, do you want to exchange some of your silver for some of my gold????.

Bump....if youre interested then post, if not then state why not?...this is a simple conversation but I would do a deal....this offer is only good for so long...the ratio is increasing right now...as a collector, horder, stasher, flipper I have both silver and gold and other assorted stuff and Ave the Ebay site busy-bee-company with 100% rating with 450 deals so don't be too suspicious but think about it...maybe also view my topic of 'is it time to convert our gold to silver?'

6 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

Bump....if youre interested then post, if not then state why not?...this is a simple conversation but I would do a deal....this offer is only good for so long...the ratio is increasing right now...as a collector, horder, stasher, flipper I have both silver and gold and other assorted stuff and Ave the Ebay site busy-bee-company with 100% rating with 450 deals so don't be too suspicious but think about it...maybe also view my topic of 'is it time to convert our gold to silver?'

In the U.K. so not really applicable but the reasons why it wouldn’t work from our end.   Cheapest we can get sovs for here at moment is £229 (albeit a loss leader from a company).    Cheapest I could buy 20 silver eagles is from Europe at £274.60 plus shipping to U.K. plus shipping to US so would be over £300 all in to get the 20 eagles to you.    

I know we have different costs here than over the water that’s why you see a lot of silver forum members stack gold rather than silver

just my opinion but thought I’d say things from our side

4 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

In the U.K. so not really applicable but the reasons why it wouldn’t work from our end.   Cheapest we can get sovs for here at moment is £229 (albeit a loss leader from a company).    Cheapest I could buy 20 silver eagles is from Europe at £274.60 plus shipping to U.K. plus shipping to US so would be over £300 all in to get the 20 eagles to you.    

I know we have different costs here than over the water that’s why you see a lot of silver forum members stack gold rather than silver

just my opinion but thought I’d say things from our side

I understand the international reason for no deal, hense the ase here, the offer wouldn't work over there....but...would you swap 20 say brits with a brit for a sovereign?....it's a question I posed but then decided to offer up...knowing it's going to be in the US and not europe.

2 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I understand the international reason for no deal, hense the ase here, the offer wouldn't work over there....but...would you swap 20 say brits with a brit for a sovereign?....it's a question I posed but then decided to offer up...knowing it's going to be in the US and not europe.

I’d rather have eagles than brits, but because of our tax system we have to add 20% to silver coins if bought in U.K.          I love silver and collect it but don’t stack it.    I think America and Australia are more clued up when it comes to silver

out of interest that could you buy silver eagles for over there?

7 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I’d rather have eagles than brits, but because of our tax system we have to add 20% to silver coins if bought in U.K.          I love silver and collect it but don’t stack it.    I think America and Australia are more clued up when it comes to silver

out of interest that could you buy silver eagles for over there?

My LCS sells eagles at spot plus $2.75, Brits at spot plus $1.50, you can find slightly better online as loss leaders but usually require large purchases and payment by wire or cheque.

I both collect silver, gold, platinum and other assorted stuff but also stack...so pretty much a magpie.

21 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

if youre interested then post, if not then state why not?

Not sure if we should be having a discussion in a sell thread, but you asked for feedback... :unsure:

I have the same issue as Cornishfarmer and I'm in the US.  I can get a gold Sov from a dealer for $315.  I can easily sell a roll of eagles on reddit in like 10 minutes for $340.  For even more if Im patient.  This frankly just isnt a good deal.  Maybe 18 or 19 eagles would be more appropriate, or 20 generic rounds at spot if you are trying to use the G/S ratio.

37 minutes ago, ZatStackz said:

Not sure if we should be having a discussion in a sell thread, but you asked for feedback... :unsure:

I have the same issue as Cornishfarmer and I'm in the US.  I can get a gold Sov from a dealer for $315.  I can easily sell a roll of eagles on reddit in like 10 minutes for $340.  For even more if Im patient.  This frankly just isnt a good deal.  Maybe 18 or 19 eagles would be more appropriate, or 20 generic rounds at spot if you are trying to use the G/S ratio.

This was placed in this by the management...it was a question as much as an offer to see would people swap their gold for silver or silver for gold without the middleman...i don't really care to buy or sell but thought I'd put my money where my mouth was.

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2019 at 16:42, DarkChameleon said:

This was placed in this by the management...it was a question as much as an offer to see would people swap their gold for silver or silver for gold without the middleman...i don't really care to buy or sell but thought I'd put my money where my mouth was.

Intersting.  So I think if you offerd the same size American Gold eagle or pre 1933 then someone int he US would more likely take on your offer?  Or perhaps because ASEs have such a premium.  

Do you think if you offerd 1/4 American Gold Eagle for a roll of 20 ASE then someone would more likely take that?

41 minutes ago, intelinside said:

Intersting.  So I think if you offerd the same size American Gold eagle or pre 1933 then someone int he US would more likely take on your offer?  Or perhaps because ASEs have such a premium.  

Do you think if you offerd 1/4 American Gold Eagle for a roll of 20 ASE then someone would more likely take that?

As the ratio is growing I'm wondering how long it will be tgat someone jumps from the ase train to the sovereign train, I wondered about it as a question for everyone without offering anything but thought I'd put my foot where my mouth was and offer one of my sovereigns to make it all the more interesting and just ask for views asvwell, like what would it take for someone to part with 20 ase's for a sivereign, especially when you consider what you'd get selling your ase's and the amount you lose from the dealer, or from fleabay or an auction house then postage for what might be 10 or more packages to sell them all...and what premium you'd have to pay for a gold sovereign?...I wondered when that point woukd be reached when silver rich and gold poor..if inclined I could exchange all day long having been a sov buyer for 30 years...it was just an interesting question to pose to those silver holders stateside.

It is a great question and I thank you for actually putting it out there with your money where your mouth is

more should because people say a lot but don’t actually test things

like I’d like to know how to actually sell for best value my ASE now or in future. Like how much will I get for brittanias

for maples for gold 1/10 AGE VS 1/4 vs 1 overs etc

also for different generic 10ozwrs. Etc it’s good ifea

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to give this a bump to see if anyone has changed their mind about exchanging 20 silver American Eagles for one Sovereign...the ratio is not falling as so many of us had hoped but increased and is over 90 now...I can see where some think its heading (100 - 1), is anyone thinking of getting out from some of their silver stash and moving into gold even as both are rising?.

Just a hypothesis that us living in our own country, using our own currency. It seems hard in human nature to accept things with ease that we are unfamiliar with, in this case foreign currencies. The hard part isn’t the recognizing of the currency but the perceive value difference between the comparison, in this case the premium. The gold silver ratio was price ratio using similar currency. So I guess, like culture, acceptance is for the curiosity of the mind. Just my 2 cents worth 🙂

3 hours ago, Au79 said:

Just a hypothesis that us living in our own country, using our own currency. It seems hard in human nature to accept things with ease that we are unfamiliar with, in this case foreign currencies. The hard part isn’t the recognizing of the currency but the perceive value difference between the comparison, in this case the premium. The gold silver ratio was price ratio using similar currency. So I guess, like culture, acceptance is for the curiosity of the mind. Just my 2 cents worth 🙂

Aratio is just that, as long as you have two measures then taken at any specific time a ratio will exist, in this case gold to silver, it could be platinum or palladium to silver, I think like any investment, the investment banks and large holders manipulate the market but then again they do it with anything else that can be manipulated, from interest rates, steel, gold, corn, etc...the difference is where we as consumers or horders or investors get in or out...we are not responsible for the rises and falls, we are just the fuel they use to drive one or the other...the fools to their kings as it were, even the smartest of us are slaves to their deals, high frequency trading computers, political wills...but we hope to make money from them.

It all depends WHAT sovereign it is, and how many silver coins you're talking about. If it's just an ordinary bullion sovereign (of any date), then it's worth less than the silver coin roll/tube, and not an equal deal. The silver coins are worth more. To make the deal more equal, you'd have to take a few silver coins out of the tube. Or, if it's a more special/rare sovereign, one of the special designs or a rare year, then the deal could be more equal too, or even skewed towards the gold. It all depends on the intrinsic value of the coins, you'd have to check what the reasonable sale value of each are, and then make a decision. It's not a question of gold vs silver at all.

3 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

It all depends WHAT sovereign it is, and how many silver coins you're talking about. If it's just an ordinary bullion sovereign (of any date), then it's worth less than the silver coin roll/tube, and not an equal deal. The silver coins are worth more. To make the deal more equal, you'd have to take a few silver coins out of the tube. Or, if it's a more special/rare sovereign, one of the special designs or a rare year, then the deal could be more equal too, or even skewed towards the gold. It all depends on the intrinsic value of the coins, you'd have to check what the reasonable sale value of each are, and then make a decision. It's not a question of gold vs silver at all.

Its an offer to those silver poor, who to buy a sovereign might have to sell more then they need to get one, but swapping offsets the gouging the dealers or fleabay give you on the sell and on the buy.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it is an interesting offer, but I have to agree with the others. As of now, the price of the ASE tube is more than the sovereign, so it's probably not going to work out (unless you find someone who doesn't really care about the difference and just wants to get out of the silver and into the gold). As of now though, a tube of ASEs is $370 and the generic sovereign is $346. After the shipping charges, it just doesn't work from a financial perspective. I think if you were interested in 18 x ASEs for the sovereign, you would get a hit. Anyway, just my perspective.

Archived