• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Spread Calculation

brian8888

The spread is the difference between the buying and selling price.

The formula you have is the spread as a percentage of the buying price.

It is simple arithmetic.

There are no other methods or standards used.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

This is my understanding:

A dealer will have two different prices for buying and selling gold. For example, assuming gold is £1,000 per ounce:

Dealer buys at 96% of spot: (0.96*1000) = £960 per ounce

Dealer sells at 3% over spot: (1.03*1000) = ££1,030 per ounce. This is also called the premium. 

The dealer makes money and covers his costs in the above difference between the buy/sell price. This is also known as the spread. You can calculate this in absolute terms, which is the £ difference, or express it as a percentage.

In the above example, the spread is (1030-960) = £70 in absolute terms. As a percentage it is ((70/960)*100) = 7.29%

If you buy and sell frequently, you will be interested in the spread, which can differ amongst different dealers.

If you primarily buy, then you may be interested in the premium above spot. Aim to buy bullion close to (or lower than) spot where possible.

To give you an indication of how well you are doing, you can also pool your gold purchases. You add up the total weight of pure gold and total up the price paid for all that gold. You then divide the total purchase price by the total weight (grams is easier). You now know how much your portfolio of gold is worth against the market value per given weight unit. This makes sense if you have lots of different gold coins paid for at different prices.

Let me know if anyone spots a mistake in my thinking! Hope that helps

On 31/03/2019 at 12:10, Kowloon88 said:

This is my understanding:

A dealer will have two different prices for buying and selling gold. For example, assuming gold is £1,000 per ounce:

Dealer buys at 96% of spot: (0.96*1000) = £960 per ounce

Dealer sells at 3% over spot: (1.03*1000) = ££1,030 per ounce. This is also called the premium. 

The dealer makes money and covers his costs in the above difference between the buy/sell price. This is also known as the spread. You can calculate this in absolute terms, which is the £ difference, or express it as a percentage.

In the above example, the spread is (1030-960) = £70 in absolute terms. As a percentage it is ((70/960)*100) = 7.29%

If you buy and sell frequently, you will be interested in the spread, which can differ amongst different dealers.

If you primarily buy, then you may be interested in the premium above spot. Aim to buy bullion close to (or lower than) spot where possible.

To give you an indication of how well you are doing, you can also pool your gold purchases. You add up the total weight of pure gold and total up the price paid for all that gold. You then divide the total purchase price by the total weight (grams is easier). You now know how much your portfolio of gold is worth against the market value per given weight unit. This makes sense if you have lots of different gold coins paid for at different prices.

Let me know if anyone spots a mistake in my thinking! Hope that helps

Thank you I enjoyed reading your write up, very easy to understand the process. 👏

Archived