• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Clarification about trade dollar series

Zamiel

Hello all

I've become quite interested in the silver trade dollars but I'm not sure i have the full picture since I found out today there are more series than i thought. So I'm hoping someone can help enlighten me :)

So the first trade dollar I can across was in a post on this forum and it's the St. Helena trade dollar series, and from what i can gather its made by the sunshine mint but i'm not sure. Some have stated that the East India Company mints them but i have gotten mixed input on this.

Today I found out that there is also a Niue Trade dollar which apparently is made by the New Zealand mint. The two trade dollars I have seen look very similar so thats likely why i missed the difference. So now I'm wondering, is the Niue trade dollar also a series like the St. Helena trade dollar?

Both coins have the name of the East India Company on them, so what is the companys role actually in the making of these coins?

Now we also have the chinese dragon restrike series which also is a trade dollar i believe.

Is anyone aware of other trade coin restrike series?

Thanks in advance :)

41 minutes ago, Zamiel said:

Hello all

I've become quite interested in the silver trade dollars but I'm not sure i have the full picture since I found out today there are more series than i thought. So I'm hoping someone can help enlighten me :)

So the first trade dollar I can across was in a post on this forum and it's the St. Helena trade dollar series, and from what i can gather its made by the sunshine mint but i'm not sure. Some have stated that the East India Company mints them but i have gotten mixed input on this.

Today I found out that there is also a Niue Trade dollar which apparently is made by the New Zealand mint. The two trade dollars I have seen look very similar so thats likely why i missed the difference. So now I'm wondering, is the Niue trade dollar also a series like the St. Helena trade dollar?

Both coins have the name of the East India Company on them, so what is the companys role actually in the making of these coins?

Now we also have the chinese dragon restrike series which also is a trade dollar i believe.

Is anyone aware of other trade coin restrike series?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not sure about the different series but the East Inida Company must be a reference to the historic organisation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company

All contemporary series must be references to the various historic Trade Dollars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dollar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dollar_(United_States_coin)

As it was a silver coin to begin with, it doesn't suprise me there are several moderen bullion references to it.

Just like there are several Lunar series.

East India Company is a historic company long since defunct and anyone can use the name.  

The re-strike of the classic British (and now US) trade dollar was licenced as St Helena coinage, with the proofs very confusingly licenced as Niue.  Who knows how these licences are agreed and what conditions attached.  Some sellers still refer to the proof as St Helena trade dollar as thats what the original design was (or perhaps haven't noticed Niue on the observe of the proofs?)

4 hours ago, Martlet said:

East India Company is a historic company long since defunct and anyone can use the name.  

The re-strike of the classic British (and now US) trade dollar was licenced as St Helena coinage, with the proofs very confusingly licenced as Niue.  Who knows how these licences are agreed and what conditions attached.  Some sellers still refer to the proof as St Helena trade dollar as thats what the original design was (or perhaps haven't noticed Niue on the observe of the proofs?)

I have just noticed that on BU version it is not NIUE like the proof. 

Archived