• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - (UK & Europe) See a deal, post it here

ChrisSilver
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please do not use this section to share affiliate links, this is against forum rules. We do not want the forum to become full of spam links. Please note the announcement here, which explains in more detail

12 hours ago, Shep said:

No I realise that but if you check other sources they confirm 7.8g.

I think it must be a typo, I don’t see how they could sell a coin as being “1/4 oz fine gold” and shave .72g off it. It would be deliberate mis-selling. 

At current prices and if using 0% commission currency exchange (Revolut or similar) it represents a purchase of 1/4oz gold under spot price. I can’t find any other gold available at the minute at a premium that good!

11 hours ago, Martlet said:

This article from 2016 may explain things, they set the price at €375 and never adjusted it with the gold price. 

9 hours ago, TheApe said:

Confirmation from customer service that its 1 quarter ounce, not troy ounce.

8 hours ago, Foster88 said:

So it is 7.08 as the website says and not 7.8? I feel a bit duped now.

So at roughly £347 they’re not under spot price.

@TheApe - did you get the impression the customer services person knew what they were talking about? Perhaps they just read the spec off the page. 

Every other source says 7.78 grams, i.e 1/4 troy ounce. I also notice the €100 version (which is sold out) is described as a half ounce (so naturally double face value = double weight) and that's specified as 15.55oz - i.e. half a troy ounce (https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/proclamation-of-the-irish-republic-100-gold-proof-coin-2016.html).

A risky one... I've gone back to Customer Services with a very specific request for clarification, will update here when I get a response on the weight. 

1 hour ago, Melon said:

@TheApe - did you get the impression the customer services person knew what they were talking about? Perhaps they just read the spec off the page. 

Every other source says 7.78 grams, i.e 1/4 troy ounce. I also notice the €100 version (which is sold out) is described as a half ounce (so naturally double face value = double weight) and that's specified as 15.55oz - i.e. half a troy ounce (https://www.collectorcoins.ie/en/proclamation-of-the-irish-republic-100-gold-proof-coin-2016.html).

A risky one... I've gone back to Customer Services with a very specific request for clarification, will update here when I get a response on the weight. 

I’ve bought one of these today. 

If it is 1/4 Troy oz, great it will be 7.8 grams. 

If it’s 1/4 oz it will be 7.08 grams. Not so much of a good buy as I originally thought.

If it’s anything like trying to trace my Irish ancestry past my great grand parents, good luck.

On 20/05/2020 at 17:18, Darr3nG said:

Nice one, @TheApe - just ordered one. It'll go great with my 1966 10-Shilling :) 

Worked out at ~6.5% over spot, delivered to UK. Not bad for a low-mintage proof!

Just saw on my bank statement, that I got caught for a foreign transaction fee (initial payment on a different card got rejected)... +£9.53!!!!

This 1/4oz (troy or ?) just got a bit more expensive - still, it's gold, so I'm happy(er) :) 

10 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Just saw on my bank statement, that I got caught for a foreign transaction fee (initial payment on a different card got rejected)... +£9.53!!!!

This 1/4oz (troy or ?) just got a bit more expensive - still, it's gold, so I'm happy(er) :) 

Thats what happens when you wont join the euro like the rest of us🤣

On 23/05/2020 at 02:40, Melon said:

@Melon any more clarification on this pal?

Also has anyone else on the thread recived theirs yet?

18 minutes ago, cheekyhammer said:

@Melon any more clarification on this pal?

Also has anyone else on the thread recived theirs yet?

I've not heard anything from the company nor had an order dispatch confirmation unfortunately. 

While I can't confirm 100% as I don't have one in hand, I'm 99% convinced it's 1/4 troy oz though. So if it does ship it's a good find. 

Edit: also for what it's worth they have 400+ in stock. 

Edited by Melon

12 hours ago, Melon said:

I've not heard anything from the company nor had an order dispatch confirmation unfortunately. 

While I can't confirm 100% as I don't have one in hand, I'm 99% convinced it's 1/4 troy oz though. So if it does ship it's a good find. 

Edit: also for what it's worth they have 400+ in stock. 

Cheers @Melon I also noticed the 7.08g on the site and reference to 1/4toz everywhere else before I ordered mine last week. But to be honest I went for it as personally (even though I do not have any Irish heritage) I think the coin has a really cool story behind it man. I love a bit of gold with a back story to it.

What I will say though is their communication is awful. They have not responded to any questions nor have I received a shipping email update, however if I log into the site and click on order details it does say "shipped" maybe you can have a look at that on your account @Melon

10 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

I emailed them and got a tracking number - apparently royal mail attempted delivery today, but didn't leave a card... Arranged redelivery for Monday.

@cheekyhammer and @Darr3nG Mine arrived today and it is a quarter Troy oz (7.8g) so don’t worry. It is clearly a typo on their website.

I like it, nice box and leaflet about Ireland’s independence. As someone who’s half Irish I found this very interesting. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

2DE94376-7BF5-4A27-97A6-172B7F6B234A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Melon said:

Before anyone asks, my excuse is I had to average out the postage cost.... 😄

Don't blame you for buying the 2oz at around spot!  Fortune favours the brave and all that- nice haul! I personally believe they were a great price if they had of turned up weighing 7.08 grams!