• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Source for junk silver in Europe

Gildeon

I am looking for some suggestions for old silver coins in Europe. Unfortunately the major dealers don't usually deal with such products like in US. Can you propose someone reliable and with good prices?

Instagram: gildeon_67

6 minutes ago, Gildeon said:

I am looking for some suggestions for old silver coins in Europe. Unfortunately the major dealers don't usually deal with such products like in US. Can you propose someone reliable and with good prices?

I couldn't understand this either, why the UK doesn't seem to have piles of junk silver coins like in the U.S., but I'm starting to think that the reason is that they just don't exist, at least not in the same way that they do in the U.S.  What I mean is that in the U.S. we're talking about pre-1965 coins ... but the last dates I can find on 50% silver coins in the UK are to about 1945, making them 20 years older than the U.S. junk coins, generally.  90% silver is even older, back to like 1919 ... and once you get that old even with U.S. junk silver it really isn't "junk" anymore, it's somewhat collectible.  If you go back that far on U.S. dimes, for example, you're back into Barber dimes to the year 1916, and when you get back that far you're starting to pay a pretty good premium on the coins, even ones that are in bad condition.  So ... in summary, is there even a such thing as "junk silver" in the UK ?  I'm not so sure.

6 hours ago, Lowlow said:

I couldn't understand this either, why the UK doesn't seem to have piles of junk silver coins like in the U.S., but I'm starting to think that the reason is that they just don't exist, at least not in the same way that they do in the U.S.  What I mean is that in the U.S. we're talking about pre-1965 coins ... but the last dates I can find on 50% silver coins in the UK are to about 1945, making them 20 years older than the U.S. junk coins, generally.  90% silver is even older, back to like 1919 ... and once you get that old even with U.S. junk silver it really isn't "junk" anymore, it's somewhat collectible.  If you go back that far on U.S. dimes, for example, you're back into Barber dimes to the year 1916, and when you get back that far you're starting to pay a pretty good premium on the coins, even ones that are in bad condition.  So ... in summary, is there even a such thing as "junk silver" in the UK ?  I'm not so sure.

You CAN find them - its just that most go to bullion scrappers and each year tonnes of them get simply melted. They are getting harder and harder to get. I  stack mostly UK and European junk, you just need the right contacts. Lately pre1919 silver comes at 10-20% premium. I remember many years back I was buying it under spot. Shame I didnt keep it all lol. 

6 hours ago, Gildeon said:

I can help you if you give me an idea of what stuff / prices you after. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

6 hours ago, Lowlow said:

I suspect the biggest problem for UK coins is that any of the old silver coins are from the pre-decimal system. When the system was changed to decimal in 1971 all of the old money (other than what people had deliberately stored or non deliberately in couch cushions, etc) would have been taken out of circulation. As a result of this you could never find any silver content coins in your change here and the vast majority of the circulating coins with silver content would have been scrapped when they were taken out of circulation.

As for the OP's original question eBay is my place of destination of choice for this kind of silver in the UK. I've padded out my collection nicely buying coins like this on eBay and most were bought on auction under spot.

5 hours ago, StackinJack said:

Thanks for the link, as a Dutchie I am very interested in these coins

I just had a quick look, they seem to be under spot, so perfect for stacking.

Do you happen to know anything about their re-sale value? Is hard to sell them again?

Edit: not under spot, should not send whilst on the bus 🙂

7 hours ago, vanderPoot said:

Do you happen to know anything about their re-sale value? Is hard to sell them again?

Well, they also do buy PM's, and I believe they ensure that something bought via them, you can always sell back.

No clue about the actual re-selling value.

The guy in the video below said he ordered a "surprise box" of guaranteed 1kg fine silver by a "Goldheinz" in Karlsruhe and got following coins. First number before the g is the gross weight, second number with a g the fine weight

Switzerland
5 Franken Switzerland 1932 15g 12.525g
Also 0.5 Franken (2.g 2.088g); 1 (5g 4.175g) and 2 Franken coins
“Alphirt”
Allegedly still in circulation ...seems that's the picture on one of the Franken

France
5 Franc 12g 10.02 .835 silver 1960s
50 centime

Italy
500 Lire 1960s? .11g 9.185g .835
Depicting a galley, another one depicting Dante
1863 1 Lira

Spain 19g 15.86g
100 Pesetas late 1960s, depicting Franco
another coin, I didn't understand the name of

Austria
25 Schilling, a commemorative coin .800 13g 10.4g
Maria Theresien Thaler “ a classic coin, minted since 1780” 28.06g 23.38g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhgTSETMbI

A second video with a similar box with a lot of 5 Deutsche Mark commemorative coins but only watched the first minute yet.

Dealer for Austrian Schillings: https://www.goldundco.at/goldwissen/gold-lexikon/muenzen/silbermuenzen/schilling-silbermuenzen.html

Never used it, so can't say anything about this dealer. Webpage looks legit to me.

As opposed to the 25 Schilling coin, the ones below I think are not commemorative coins but they were actually circulating with the same motive in the none silver years till the Euro was introduced in Austria. Coins before WWII probably with different motive.

5 Schilling

1934-1936

5 Schilling

1958-1960

10 Schilling

1957-1959

10 Schilling

10 Schilling

1965-1973

Edit: This dealer writes about these Schilling coins but it's not actually clear if he has them in stock. They are not mentioned in the sell section

15 hours ago, vanderPoot said:

The circulation guilders work out about 55p per gram pure silver weight, so a high markup. £17.1 an oz cheaper to stack pure silver from the group order.

the commemorative ones are cheaper and not a bad price. They sell well on eBay 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

5 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

Dealer for Austrian Schillings

I know this dealer I already bought 5 and 10 Schilling coins there. But they are not always in stock and have a premium of ~20% over spot.

On 05/11/2018 at 14:29, vanderPoot said:

I love the Dutch 2.5 Guilders. I have a small collection of a dozen. 

IMG_20181108_203654~2.jpg

On 05/11/2018 at 02:04, Gildeon said:

I have some silver UK shillings, if interested. If so get back to me and I’ll get you the dates etc. 

4 hours ago, MintageSeller said:

I have some silver UK shillings, if interested. If so get back to me and I’ll get you the dates etc. 

I am basically looking for larger lots close to metal prices. If you have anything fitting this description please contact me.

Instagram: gildeon_67

• 5 months later...
On 05/11/2018 at 08:27, ilovesilverireallydo said:

You CAN find them - its just that most go to bullion scrappers and each year tonnes of them get simply melted. They are getting harder and harder to get. I  stack mostly UK and European junk, you just need the right contacts. Lately pre1919 silver comes at 10-20% premium. I remember many years back I was buying it under spot. Shame I didnt keep it all lol. 

I can help you if you give me an idea of what stuff / prices you after. 

I used to buy quite a bit of pre 1919 British and pre 1965 American on eBay for pretty much spot, including postage costs. Got quite a few better than junk half crowns that way. Unfortunately,  more recently, it seems a lot harder to get good prices now, so I wish too I'd kept it up while the going was good.  

On 05/11/2018 at 09:42, StackinJack said:

Nice. I do miss the Dutch guilder. I normally go for coins that are at least 80% silver, but I might have to pick up a few of these.

Archived