• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

800 Silver Mark

Audrey

In my grandmother's Gorham 925 sterling silver chest there are 7 spoons with a different pattern and markings than rest of the Gorham service. I think 6 are sugar spoons and 1 with a pointed tip is a fruit spoon. The patterns looks almost identical to me but the markings on the rounded spoons are 'PJ 800 and each spoon has an almost-rectangular indentation and the marking on the pointed spoon is' HM 800 (I think). Online, it says 800 can be an indication of Russian origin and my great-grandparents came from Russia. Does anyone have any idea who the maker of these spoons might be and are they considered Sterling?

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

If anything they would be 800 silver which is not sterling. Sterling silver is 92.5% silver, 800 silver is 80% Silver. 

As to the maker, sorry cannot help you there!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Yeah it is 800 so 80% silver.

Not Sterling and not from this country. 800 has been made here but you would have other marks, not just a purity and the HM, likely a maker's mark.

i have seen 800 German flatware - 800 silver was made in several countries on the continent - France, lots in Germany, Italy, i think Austria and some others.

i have seen HM mean handmade but unlikely here as this will not be an English piece.

Now i see you mention Russia and i see ' The number 800 (bottom) was the Imperial Russian notation for sterling silver. ' i will take a bit more of a look at this odd statement 800 is Sterling silver - since when could 800 be Sterling. It may mean 80% was the standard as Sterling is the standard in the UK.

H and M are in the Russian alphabet so it is possible.

https://www.marthastewart.com/271850/the-language-of-silver-marks

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Archived