• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM Captain Cook up for pre-order

• 11 months later...

Just saw this video (absolutely loving the coin for 2019) and I took a look at the RM website https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/captain-cook/The-250th-Anniversary-of-Captain-James-Cooks-Voyage-of-Discovery-2018-2-Silver-Proof-3-Coin-Series/ , checked ebay prices (completed) for the 2018 one and thought I will have a piece of this and ordered via the option of reserving all 3 coins in the series (i.e buying the 2018 - over 95% reserved - and reserving the 2019 and 2020). 

Definitely a heart rather than head purchase as I remember watching the recent Venus transition of the sun and of course all the legendary stories surrounding Captain Cook.I wasn't fussed about this series until I saw the 2019 coin via the video and immediately felt I had to add this to my collection and to hell with making money (although it would be nice if it did in the future, of course !). I steer a mile clear of modern silver proofs as they are nothing but losers over time. This one though, it just hit a nerve with me and I am in for pure personal pleasure of looking at and owning this coin alone (2019) and will be very interested to see how the 2018 and 2020 are as well, of course. 

The design on the 2019 is simply stunning and well thought out and executed to my mind and I am interested in the "puzzle" aspect that the 3 coins together eventually will make up.

Looking forward to seeing the 2018 on its way soon and the 2019 that is now reserved with only a year to go to get the set. It kind of reminds me of studying as a lad and all those fabulous stories of Cook's adventures. And he brought incredible science to the world as well, with that Venus transit of the sun changing things forever. It was really quite something .

Just called up The RM to ask about having my double order today (2018 and 2019) combined to save on shipping costs (12.50gbp each, total 25 quid), to be told initially on their chat line that it was impossible. I then called and was told that as it is a "continuity" coin (over 3 years), shipping was free. I was surprised as I had told her it was an international buy. She said no, it should be postage free and was asked to send her the invoices I had received by email which I very happily did, whilst also telling her to sort out their chat line operators who don't know their elbow from their a'&%hole.

Colour me amazed if they do actually ship "continuity" coins abroad free of charge. I was just hoping for a single shipping fee as always. 

I fully expect the, "Oh no, we got that wrong, sir," email.

Bang. 2019 silver proof continuity set sold out...gone quick. Must be a lot of folks on the pre order from last year plus some latecomers today who jumped in at the last minute.

Single proof 2019 coins still available. 2018 all gone.

• 1 month later...

I was really excited about this series. The design is cool, intricate and the mintage is super low. I bought both the gold and silver versions of the 2018, and had them both graded by NGC. They look amazing!

However, after seeing such low interest in this series I don't think I'll buy the 2nd or 3rd in the series. These coins come with a super high premium, and I'm afraid I won't even get my premiums back if I need to sell. It's a shame as the two tone on both the gold and silver is truly unique, and beautiful. Why are these coins so unpopular? I've seen a lot of other coins come out of the Royal Mint that aren't as nice, unique or rare sell out a lot faster. What am I missing?

30 minutes ago, Pre33Jesse said:

Why are these coins so unpopular?

they are popular but only the BUNC version is popular , the silver proof is high premium and they go wrong very fast, for example black ring on the coin 

bunc is 10 pound each and they are very good strike , there isn't much need to buy the gold and silver in many peoples eye 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

22 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

they are popular but only the BUNC version is popular , the silver proof is high premium and they go wrong very fast, for example black ring on the coin 

bunc is 10 pound each and they are very good strike , there isn't much need to buy the gold and silver in many peoples eye 

Thank you for the reply. Makes sense that people would go for the BUNC version when they are released the same time as the Proofs. I noticed they haven't done the same for the Queen's Beasts (my favorite series). Personally, I only collect coins that are made of precious metals. I can also see how these coins are a risky and the mint can make errors. Mine had a blue plastic on them, that didn't impact the quality of the coin, and luckily fell off when NGC put them in slabs. The rim looks very delicate as there is an engraved notch on them. The details are SPECTACULAR.

I was fortunate to get PF70's on both of mine, but I suspect if I ordered the 2nd in the series I wouldn't get the same now that 95% have been bought. I'd likely get the end of the minting or even returns people made to the Royal Mint. 

On a positive note, I have the only ones graded by NGC both in PF70 ULTRA CAMEO; sequentially numbered. I will cherish them for a long time, unless I get an offer I can't refuse.

I shared the pics for both from NGC below so others can enjoy these coins and see what they missed out on. The contrast of the Rose Gold/Gold & Gold/Silver (especially on the Queen's side) is spectacular. 

673087487_ScreenShot2019-06-29at11_26_44AM.png.ed12bf35217418a2e6c785d986e82d1a.png958803361_ScreenShot2019-06-29at11_26_55AM.png.3a8eaaf2f3ac443c664dcd9523425603.png

1672487674_ScreenShot2019-06-29at11_30_27AM.png.f9e9cb4fe38b54c173759b8e55dee063.png1009319245_ScreenShot2019-06-29at11_30_36AM.png.bb05eb6ba1dc5cd3c166f9d379e1204d.png

• 8 months later...

Next and final one coming out soon. RM emailed me to say they'd be taking payment 31st March. 

They must be busy, the amount of new coins they're knocking out at the minute! Still, I do like the Captain Cook series

Archived