• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Engelhard bar CUT IN HALF

fourboysplus

11 hours ago, fourboysplus said:

Owe man! 

This was product of a divorce in which the wife was adamant about getting 1/2 of everything!

was able to purchase it for spot price. 

A792104E-E78D-4B18-A98F-DC8C7DCDFD91.jpeg

A166F7D6-9D69-404A-937E-E25D3CD4E3C8.jpeg

I've just realised - if you can find a chap called Enge who is 20 in 2019 (born 1999) you might make a packet! :)

New stacker here and I made the mistake of telling the wife, her view on life is that if it's not spent on shoes, a handbag or a new top then it's a waste. 

Also reminding her that my saving in the past has resulted in our better financial position doesn't go down well. 

Lesson learnt, don't speak to the wife unless absolutely necessary! :D

People lack imagination.

"I sold all of my silver to fund my unfortunate fruit machine gambling habit your honour." 

"I took my silver with me on a boating trip during which there was an unfortunate accident your honour." 

You can tell the missus about your metals just don't tell her where they are kept! ;)

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

How was this bar cut and does it look like fine silver inside ?
Pretty rough looking and non uniform colour so was it a fake ?

Looks like it was sheared as it has a shiny, smooth section at the top and more course area below. 

I had it x-rayed so I know 100% it’s .999 Silver. 

32 minutes ago, fourboysplus said:

I had it x-rayed so I know 100% it’s .999 Silver. 

Do X-rays penetrate through silver ?
I don't know but I would assume they only test the surface.
What is the penetration depth ?

Obviously the bar is cast but the picture seems to show some impurities as the colour is not uniform.
Looks like cast iron which is brittle and I thought silver was quite ductile.

Found this article - http://about.ag/Engelhard-Fakes.htm

As I have absolutely zero experience in bars I am not intentionally casting doubt about this bar only keeping the thread alive with observations hoping to stimulate other views - all about gaining knowledge.

23 minutes ago, augur said:

Since it was cast and not minted, it should look like this. Maybe @BackyardBullion can shed some light on this?

I guess it depends when it was made and cut in half. Silver will tone over time so if it was cut a long time ago this colouring is probably fairly normal. Without getting hands on I couldnt say for sure.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Archived