• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

On 17/01/2019 at 21:16, KevinFlynn said:

Pro Aurum (one of the largest german precious metal dealers) has a good website.

You can either buy from the online shop, or you will get the information on which of their branches has the selcted coin available at the moment.

Ceres  for example, available in Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart

Angel  available in Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Bad Homburg, Düsseldorf, and so on...

Overview on this list, about half way down.

So, if you should happen to visit Germany...

Those prices look good. Do they add tax or anything to the final price? 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

These are the final prices you pay.

Mind that the prices you see in the direct links are not the sales prices. For the coins I linked to directly there are no sales price listed in the onlineshop at the moment, only the buy prices. These coins are at the moment only available directly at the branch offices.

We could only try to guess the sales price by taking prices from the other LMU coins on the list, which are between €10,00 to 29,50 above the buy price, so between €220,00 to 239,50 (prices as of 25 January 2019).

So these two are enroute to me, traded a whole lot of my ingots to the seller, worked out a decent price. They look uncirculated which would be a bonus, hopefully they are that good!

9768C0FD-A353-4B31-B722-9963CDF6AFF5.jpeg

51CCBE8A-06FD-46F2-A7D4-3AAD0AF5016B.jpeg

0446FDA5-AA90-42D6-9355-7CBFDC6FD793.jpeg

BF6009ED-E08E-4EAD-958D-92F2C3D8CE22.jpeg

6D25417E-AE77-48A7-87A4-9C3836F73D31.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Very informative topic here.

I'm just starting out with PM and latin monetary union coins hit all the right notes: they're fractal so I could afford a new one much more often, plenty of beautiful designs and prices very close to spot for the most common releases.

I have a question for collectors: how easy are they to sell (in the EU)?

Is there any issue (when it comes to selling) in the fact they are .900 gold?

I have a couple of sovereigns and from observing the forum here for the past month or so, it seems to me they are highly sought after and selling for close to the purchase price wouldn't be an issue. Is it similar with latin monetary union coins?

This is probably the final question I have before deciding whether to pull the trigger or not.

Thanks!

Thank goodness they aren’t on my ‘wanted’ list..January has been an expensive month for quite a few members I think.

Apparently the seller is legit..he came in for quite a bit of flack last night on a newbie thread for appearing out of the blue, then selling expensive coins immediately.

If you are interested in any of the coins he is selling, I suggest you read the related thread for clarification as to who he is and who supports his integrity..

2 hours ago, mezmer1411 said:

Very informative topic here.

I'm just starting out with PM and latin monetary union coins hit all the right notes: they're fractal so I could afford a new one much more often, plenty of beautiful designs and prices very close to spot for the most common releases.

I have a question for collectors: how easy are they to sell (in the EU)?

Is there any issue (when it comes to selling) in the fact they are .900 gold?

I have a couple of sovereigns and from observing the forum here for the past month or so, it seems to me they are highly sought after and selling for close to the purchase price wouldn't be an issue. Is it similar with latin monetary union coins?

This is probably the final question I have before deciding whether to pull the trigger or not.

Thanks!

Hi Mezmer,welcome to the forum and to this thread.

To put your mind at rest...I don’t think you will have any problems selling any of the LMU coins, either on this forum (after you become known) or to a dealer...gold is gold at the end of the day, and these have become more collectible recently.

22ct gold is also not a problem..most gold coins made are not 24ct, as this makes them too soft to go into circulation..they would not last very long at all.

Regards to sovereigns - they will always be the most liquid of coins in any collection, as the collector base for these is huge. As much as I love, and personally prefer the 20 francs coins, I do not think they will ever compete with the popularity of the sovereigns.

The big plus for me with these coins is they are relatively inexpensive to buy...you can pick them up for a little over spot if lucky.

The only issue I can foresee is your location...not all sellers of coins on this forum are happy to sell into countries outside the UK, despite the fact you live in a beautiful country.

Best of luck and enjoy the forum, suggest you spend some time looking through old posts to improve your knowledge.

Regards @mezmer1411

Kook

25 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Thank goodness they aren’t on my ‘wanted’ list..January has been an expensive month for quite a few members I think.

Apparently the seller is legit..he came in for quite a bit of flack last night on a newbie thread for appearing out of the blue, then selling expensive coins immediately.

If you are interested in any of the coins he is selling, I suggest you read the related thread for clarification as to who he is and who supports his integrity..

He’s been vouched for two people I trust so I personally would have no qualms dealing with him. 

2 hours ago, mezmer1411 said:

Don’t forget that in the U.K. sovereigns are capital gains tax free which means they will be more popular regardless. Also remember that a large portion of members  of the forum are U.K. residents and sovs are easier to get in general. 

I can only tell about late LMU Swiss Vreneli 20 Franken, and I am just into bullion, not a collector per se.

These are among the most liquid coins I can trade in Germany. No problem to sell at a multitude of places.

If you want to stack, as opposed to collect LMU coins, just have a look at what is offered around the country you live in. Pawn shops and local dealers offer a good indication about acceptance among the general populace. I am sure a suitable coin will present itself.

I think I heard that in southern europe the Sovereign is really strong, I am not sure about south eastern europe though. And I would not want to derail the thread...

@Kookaburracollector thank you for some great advice.

As I live in Croatia, most of the local dealers are familiar with the LMU coins, especially with the Austro-Hungarian ones as Croatia was a part of it back then.

My plan atm is to attend Numismata coin fair in Munich (2nd and 3rd of March) - my first coin fair :). Looking forward to checking out some LMU coins in person there and probably picking up some. Although the buy/sell thread is really tempting me right now.

@Cornishfarmer Good morning...

Just wondered if it was possible / wise  to rename this thread. There is a wealth of knowledge being accrued on here for all 20 francs coins, and not just French. Maybe include the term Latin Monetary Union or just 20 Francs Advice Please..

Just a thought...this is one of my favourite threads on the forum (along with ‘Today I Received’ and of course......World War 1 coins!😀)

Or just leave it as it is..if it ain’t broken why try to fix it!

6 minutes ago, augur said:

Macro Lens for phone of evil and some post processing (crop, exposure and shadows up, contrast and highlights down)

in this case fish eye lens as the macro lens wouldn't fit larger than half sovereign or 1/10 gold

Not sure what a ‘phone of evil’ is.....but the rest sounds like cheating to me lol! I will have to experiment with the above options in future.

cheers

Edited by Kookaburracollector

coin photography pushes the limits of technology as the dynamic range (dark to bright) usually maxes out the capabilities of the sensor, especially proof coins (hence the matte proofs in the past).

in order to compensate for the shadow when photographing without a semitransparent mirror (to avoid the reflection/shadow of the lens/camera) you can play with the exposure to make use of the dynamic range the sensor has captured (the display can show even less than the sensor captures).

to adequately capture a coin you would have to photograph through a semitransparent mirror and create a HDR (high dynamic range) picture to capture the brightest reflection to the darkest shadow but this requires an extensive setup and extensive post processing. I haven't yet risen to this challenge, so this is my shortcut 😊

Phone of evil – the one with the bite on the forbidden fruit.