• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

@Lea79 whoa! What a great selection of coins you have their...I kind of wish I hadn’t asked now lol!

The table is also a nice backdrop..is the inlay mother of Pearl or abalone?...reminds of a time when I used to deal in violins and bows...the slide on a bow is made of the same material...way off topic now!

Just buy the Italian coin you want...money can always be replaced....that’s what I keep telling myself anyway...

Hopefully see it on ‘Today I Received’ next week....

19 minutes ago, Lea79 said:

Some of the 20francs are really pricey.  I don’t think I’m ever gonna finish the set!! Just gonna buy the ones I see here and there.  Mite buy that Italian one on hgm if no1 else wants it. 

Go for it! It’s a nice addition to the collection 😀

17 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

I am stacking bullion grade coins without a regard for date. If you start with Vrenelli one day, drop me a message and I can tell you which dates I have. I would swap coin for coin.

Do not expect any rares though, as the real numismatic pieces will surely have been sorted from the more mundane pieces from which I select.

Hi, you are lucky to have a shop close by to call in on..I can only dream...

Not sure if you have noticed, but only two years ago, I could call one of several dealers and get them to select the years I wanted, cherry pick the best condition coins, and also send me a photo in advance...what a great way to buy..

Now...hardly any stock to choose from, and they have cottoned on to the fact that the different years have different values...I think the honeymoon is over.

Regards to the vrenellis...I literally couldn’t decide for ages whether to collect those or the roosters...it was a close call..

regards..

Edited by Kookaburracollector

The back drop is an antique Victorian jewellery box that I keep all of my coins in.  It’s a French design and yeah it’s mother of Pearl. It’s a beauty.  

Its pay day 2moro so why not lol.

3 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Not sure if you have noticed, but only two years ago, I could call one of several dealers and get them to select the years I wanted, cherry pick the best condition coins, and also send me a photo in advance...what a great way to buy..

Now...hardly any stock to choose from, and they have cottoned on to the fact that the different years have different values...Inthinkmthe honeymoon is over.

Regards to the vrenellis...I literally couldn’t decide for ages whether to collect those or the roosters...it was a close call..

regards..

I’ve noticed a decrease in availability of a lot of the 20 francs over the last few years.  For example the Ceres head.  It was available with a few dealers 3/4 years back but I haven’t seen one in any for a long time now.  I should have got one when they where available.  

3 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

I am known spending a day on the train, visiting a dozen different locations in the major cities of the northwestern german sprawl (Ruhrgebiet).

This costs me about €100 in tickets, but it`s all in the hunt - leave with pockets full of money, return with pockets full of gold - it's an adventure 😁

Pro Aurum (one of the largest german precious metal dealers) has a good website.

You can either buy from the online shop, or you will get the information on which of their branches has the selcted coin available at the moment.

Ceres  for example, available in Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart

Angel  available in Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Bad Homburg, Düsseldorf, and so on...

Overview on this list, about half way down.

So, if you should happen to visit Germany...

On 15/01/2019 at 23:31, KevinFlynn said:

Here is an old (so to say, wayback...) source on Latin Monetary Union - has problems loading sometimes...

Quoting my self here - if you click on the coin icons in the table, you will get a detailed list of the coins for that country and denomination.

Those 20 franc tubes are slicker then snot.  Can't find them here in the U.S.  All the ones I see on eBay ship from France, which increases the price by 50% or more.  You guys have some very cool LMU collections.  I can see I have a very long ways to go, but that half the fun.

2 hours ago, Lea79 said:

Some of the 20francs are really pricey.  I don’t think I’m ever gonna finish the set!! Just gonna buy the ones I see here and there.  Mite buy that Italian one on hgm if no1 else wants it. 

I am tempted by that lire too. I have the most common one of Umberto that I picked up a little while ago at bullion value. 

6DA45940-934E-4100-832B-034B125DD9F9.jpeg

704FFC18-AA38-4429-9431-C34D8D4DAC61.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Very interesting thread! Can you give your thumbs up for it? Found the French Franc and the Vreneli and also the Austrian and German gold coins of the time interesting as soon as I started with Sovereigns, last summer. Still sticking to them for now, but will get into the continental coins as well - I don't want to have a chaotic mishmash either, so still need many more sovereigns first. The bullion versions of these old coins are preferable over current bullion coins in my opinion because they have a history and were actually used as money. Also true for their numismatic versions, I would buy them rather than contemporary proof coins.

Edited by silenceissilver

7 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I am tempted by that lire too. I have the most common one of Umberto that I picked up a little while ago at bullion value. 

6DA45940-934E-4100-832B-034B125DD9F9.jpeg

704FFC18-AA38-4429-9431-C34D8D4DAC61.jpeg

I bought it 😃.  Will let you kno how it turns out.  Worse case scenario it is in bad condition and it goes in the coin tube haha.

Edited by Lea79

Another one for the Vrenelli fans is the NGC Registry Set:-

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=169348

Contains some useful info for the high grade rather than bullion collector. I like the comment of 'The 1904,1905, 1906 and 1926 dated coins are the keys to the set and are seldom encountered in any condition' so anyone have these dates bought as 'bullion'??? as I will now be looking out for them :D. I only have Napoleon 20 and 40 francs at the moment.

@Lea79 Hi, wouldn’t want to tread on any toes here!!. I have found some of the French coin tubes you have on you know where!.........just making sure no one else on this thread is bidding on them, as I can always wait for the next opportunity..no point bidding each other up..

7D5AACDC-DB88-41E8-999A-C194A340929B.jpeg.45a5db5776fb5a3dacd09d7254f85a60.jpeg

Cheers..

Hi kookaburracollector 😃 Those are lovley.  I’m happy with my two and I’m not looking to get anymore at present.  They are a nice little addition to the 20 franc collection. I quite like the leather ones.  Difficult to get in good condition tho. I hope you win them.

After reading through the list,  I realised that I have more Francs than I assumed. The obvious ones:

IMG_6289.thumb.JPG.a4914e88a9ee88fd0ed29cc851446b6a.JPGIMG_6290.thumb.JPG.4668cd537670d57a825d672d89bed503.JPG 1914 MS66

IMG_6291.thumb.JPG.40fd4dcc3c6bcd4c9dc31798b6960903.JPGIMG_6292.thumb.JPG.14e230cd6e2c94d835f960e03a6ff1f3.JPG1914 MS64 (before grading)

and the less obvious ones

IMG_6305.thumb.JPG.ecc072938cc436d3094e679ecac5b75a.JPGIMG_6306.thumb.JPG.ff70f471f88229a9510089212ae06276.JPG1914 MS61 (before grading)

IMG_0079.PNG.c1cbd6be10b7fba3a6d54bb29f97562b.PNGIMG_0080.PNG.5f8e66232d1d3c4138e77a1e63c057e1.PNG1912 PF68UC (restrike)

Edited by augur

Hi @augur You have some very interesting coins on display. I especially like the 20 Korona coin which would sit very well with my collection of angels...The MS66 grade for your 1914 rooster is very high, NGC have only ever graded one MS67 (for 1914) and nothing higher, so we’ll done on that pick up!

I have yet to have any of my coins graded..The thought of being denied ‘access’ to any of my coins doesn’t sit well with my psyche...just my luck one day I will catch the kids playing tiddlywinks with them lol!😂

Having looked at my roosters, the restrikes (post 1906 I think) are certainly in better condition as you would expect, and if I ever do get one graded I think I would test the water with my 1914 as well...not sure it would compare well to your MS66 but I was very happy with it when it arrived..although it did cost way over spot! (£193) 

71000425-C96D-4378-A770-77B790691CFF.thumb.jpeg.16b284978166ee0c283eb075a90b607b.jpeg51425DC8-5B75-4721-8E04-59DA7557F497.thumb.jpeg.bfc1be0f69bf215639ae9fd316ba0408.jpeg

I have no idea what the dark area to the right of the roosters head is, but I guess it adds to the authenticity and charm of the coin..

Happy hunting to all ...I have just added a Gruffalo to my wanted list, but they are not released by the Royal Mint until March me thinks!

Yes, there are restrikes of the Rooster 1907-1914 but the alloy is made up with copper instead of silver and the edge inscription reads "liberté, égalité, fraternité"; the original ones have the alloy made up of silver and the edge inscription reads "Dieu protège la France".

Unfortunately the old NGC holder won't allow access to the edge and the yellow hue is probably just the light and not the alloy. The dark area on yours coin @Kookaburracollector is probably a copper stain on a restrike.

One reason why I am slabbing these coins away is that I am trying to have mint state coins from each combatant for my WW I collection. Since this is a history exercise for me I am trying to conserve (via NCS) and protect these coins but I can fully understand the appeal to handle them. But these coins all carry a high premium...