• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

20 Franc Coins Of The LMU

There are also the Austro Hungarian coins, Serbian and Tunisian (Monaco?)  I think they didn't join the union officially but did produce coins of equal weight.

And here's a pdf which includes dates of countries joining as well as lots of other data.  

https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/wbb1/papers/Bae Bailey LMU-2003.0707.pdf

Edited by Murph
added

20 French Francs Mintages 1871-1898 Angels- Missing Years!

Having  checked various websites (coindatabase/reocites/Chards) it seems that the 20 Francs Angel coin was not made for several years.

Can anyone confirm (before I start looking for them) that there were no Angels minted in the following years:- 1872,1873 and 1880 to 1885 inclusive..Many thanks.

Picked up a few more different years this week, maybe in better condition than the first batch.

1036E26B-9FCF-4B87-8A18-B06B7D8872D3.thumb.jpeg.1420b98febe25b2bc246aaa7844001c8.jpeg

BDBB4A34-998A-4A29-AD45-B93C374043EF.thumb.jpeg.ba7254b50b81a9646000a993933bc6ef.jpeg

Thanks for the link to the numista website.

Digging really deep here..in 1879 coindatabase have two different issues. One with an anchor mint mark and one with a barred anchor.

I can’t find out (yet) if this was ever minted. The website states the mintage as Inc.Ab. but I know not what this means http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_detail_france.php?cdb=U250008

The ‘normal’ coin has a very slightly different anchor..

http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_detail_france.php?cdb=U250007

Does anyone know if both coins were minted..

thanks

Edited by Kookaburracollector

• 9 months later...

A year down the line (and a little wiser) I can now answer my own question from the past..both coins were minted..

5C2E6CA7-0EDB-4363-B978-B4FEA18989AF.jpeg.7fad30393d2b65fcdd1e133ca52289fe.jpeg

8BF654F0-1174-481C-A6FE-BC6979FBF4B9.jpeg.c905828d38bb5044492a242298813d69.jpeg

A pity this thread went quiet, as I love the French 20 francs coins..been collecting a few as and when...best pickup by far is below...

204CCB93-5257-45BF-91D5-1CDAA665C5AB.thumb.jpeg.2101f040d181b8bec8b418ee7ec83fba.jpeg

Not cheep but a tricky one to obtain secured.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has any Angels for sale ..or where I might be able to get some from..they are becoming harder to source from my usual suppliers..

20 hours ago, Lea79 said:

20 francs are still my favourite coins.  I’ve got 12/13 different designs and still lots to get.  Quite fancy the hungairian one above.  

Hi, any chance you could post some photos of the different designs you have (just your favourites), it might give me an idea as to what I want to collect in the future...just a thought!

34 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Hi, any chance you could post some photos of the different designs you have (just your favourites), it might give me an idea as to what I want to collect in the future...just a thought!

Are you thinking about branching out into the other francs equivalent coins?

I have some LMU follow ups with the swiss Vreneli I am stacking, and I was thinking of getting others, as well.

I am eyeing the original LMU Helvetia, then in a first go coins of the other LMU founding nations (France, Italy, Belgium).

Designwise, I like the french Rooster as well as the Angel.

37 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

The 20 Lire has been there a while, I am surprised it has not been snapped up.

@NRSovereign must already have one... 😂

Am tempted to buy all three, only problem is I have overdone it this month lol. Got like 8 half sovs, a whole lot of fractionals and am waiting on 4 1/10 Brits and 2 Full sovs from Ash.... I think I may have bought just over an oz of 3 oz gold this month... 

Edited by ilovesilverireallydo

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 hours ago, KevinFlynn said:

Are you thinking about branching out into the other francs equivalent coins?

I have some LMU follow ups with the swiss Vreneli I am stacking, and I was thinking of getting others, as well.

I am eyeing the original LMU Helvetia, then in a first go coins of the other LMU founding nations (France, Italy, Belgium).

Designwise, I like the french Rooster as well as the Angel.

Call it OCD, but I like to complete date runs of the coins I collect. So for the roosters that’s 1899-1914 (16 coins) and on the angels it’s from 1871 to 1898 (22 coins). 1879 and 1896 have two different engraver marks in the same year which makes them tricky, and there were several years when no coins were minted...

(1848 &1849) are also to be included thinking about it!

So far....I have all the roosters except 1900......hold me and to ransoms if you have one!!

The angels are proving elusive having got 14 different years so far..

Looking at the prices of the earlier French 20 francs coins, I think I will have to find another country to collect...Vrenelli looking good me thinks, although the ducats also appeal....

Regards to HGM...I can’t get to see the coins before buying which is a pain..The only time I used them in the past did not go well, as I received a really poor condition coin...once bitten. Being ‘Up North’ restricts my choice big time unfortunately.

I have considered using the ‘Wanted’ facility on the forum but that sort of spoils the fun of the chase somehow, and I’m in no hurry (need to find some £££ first)

So..for the few souls that read this thread, drop me a PM if you come across any of the following French 20 francs coins...must be in good condition...and hope I am in a generous mood...

1848, 1871,1879, 1887,1889,1892,1894 and 1896.

PS... I know lots of people use HGM, do you actually call in the shop to select the coins you buy or do you buy blind and then pray before opening the post?.just curious..

4 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Lighting a bit bad but here’s all of them.  The nepolian Bonaparte premiar council AN 12 is my fav as it’s old and it’s kinda cool thinking it’s from an iconic time.  The helvitica is also nice as is the Albert 20 franc.

Posted a pic of the Porte Louis tubes which I’ve only just found out about.  They’re 18th century Tubes the French used to store they’re 20francs. They’re really cheap but also very cool. 

3A32D8F3-2DF9-4AA3-BAE1-3686B3EC5EEE.jpeg

77CF26BD-99A2-4D5E-B27C-2BC982720A79.jpeg

2C9F2874-B51D-41ED-A952-898E00538D84.jpeg

843EB40A-6BE5-4E25-94DA-FEFE119ECE49.jpeg

Edited by Lea79

Some of the 20francs are really pricey.  I don’t think I’m ever gonna finish the set!! Just gonna buy the ones I see here and there.  Mite buy that Italian one on hgm if no1 else wants it. 

20 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Call it OCD, but I like to complete date runs of the coins I collect.

...Vrenelli looking good me thinks, although the ducats also appeal....

I am stacking bullion grade coins without a regard for date. If you start with Vrenelli one day, drop me a message and I can tell you which dates I have. I would swap coin for coin.

Do not expect any rares though, as the real numismatic pieces will surely have been sorted from the more mundane pieces from which I select.

I prefer to select my coins directly in the shop as well. I prefer buying from a pawn shop/jeweler chain who always have a handful gold trade coins of various types on offer. Only when they are out of stock (happens more frequently these days then 10 years ago) will I buy from a large precious metal dealer. My main goal is buying anonymously.