• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

3 minutes ago, Kritika said:

wasent the sixpence die only used on 1/2  Sovs, where’s this is a full Sov?

Correct, not sure whose picture you're referring to though, the one i just added is the plate coin from the Marsh book as i know where this coin is, starting to get confused with all the pictures here lol

Edited by shortstack68

Yes getting confused myself 😊

To avoid confusion, here is my one again and the 1/2 from Marsh plate 142A on p19 kindly posted by shortstcks68

My coin is a full sov, and I must say it looks realy close, but if the sixpence die was only ever used on 1/2 Sovs then that can’t be the error can it?

Or did they also mistakenly use a sixpence die for full Sovs as well?

BAB68267-6C4A-4B72-8FAA-BC591359AFBB.jpeg

C5671649-C888-45BC-B101-81BFC19CAB63.jpeg

Edited by Kritika

2 hours ago, Kritika said:

My coin is a full sov, and I must say it looks realy close, but if the sixpence die was only ever used on 1/2 Sovs then that can’t be the error can it?

Or did they also mistakenly use a sixpence die for full Sovs as well?

yes it's a full sov, second bust, sixpence die was only used on the half, and it seems they also used the older 1st bust obverse dies as well.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, Nick1368 said:

can someone please tell me if a Sydney mint shield back sovereign more expensive than a shield back sovereign without any mint mark?

Surely it all depends on the date and condition?

22 hours ago, Nick1368 said:

can someone please tell me if a Sydney mint shield back sovereign is more expensive than a shield back sovereign without any mint mark?

No. The Sydney mint shields were from later on in the series and none of the years are rare. Most London mint shields are worth more.

Melbourne, however, has a some rare years, which can be expensive and difficult to find.

59 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

No. The Sydney mint shields were from later on in the series and none of the years are rare. Most London mint shields are worth more.

Melbourne, however, has a some rare years, which can be expensive and difficult to find.

that's all I needed to know, thank you.

45 minutes ago, gold said:

I have a 1857 London sovereign that looks to have an R over an I vice verse. Could someone confirm if it is in marsh or not , since I don't have a copy. I think it's around about AU50 is that right or not?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Die crack, it’s going into the field just below it. Grade I would say 55 or 58, looks pretty decent

Edited by shortstack68

Here’s one I found interesting...only because I have that year! @drakesterling noticed 2 different 3’s used for the 1873 Melbourne G&D sovereign year that is not noted in marsh.

Here’s mine, an AU something...53maybe? ( @sovereignsteve  @SovTracker 🧐)

F64EAA64-6621-45DD-9056-3C26B377A554.jpeg

5FD98A42-E80F-44B9-A6CD-ABE720805FDD.jpeg

And the two varieties noted by Drakesterling

small 3

https://www.drakesterling.com/coins-for-sale/products/1873-melbourne-st-george-reverse-sovereign

Normal 3

https://www.drakesterling.com/sold-coins/products/1873-melbourne-st-george-reverse-sovereign-2-3-4

Have you any @sg86 ? Be interesting to see some closeups

Learn something new everyday!

Edited by Elements
Added obverse photo

4 hours ago, Elements said:

Here’s one I found interesting...only because I have that year! @drakesterling noticed 2 different 3’s used for the 1873 Melbourne G&D sovereign year that is not noted in marsh.

Here’s mine, an AU something...53maybe? ( @sovereignsteve  @SovTracker 🧐)

F64EAA64-6621-45DD-9056-3C26B377A554.jpeg

5FD98A42-E80F-44B9-A6CD-ABE720805FDD.jpeg

And the two varieties noted by Drakesterling

small 3

https://www.drakesterling.com/coins-for-sale/products/1873-melbourne-st-george-reverse-sovereign

Normal 3

https://www.drakesterling.com/sold-coins/products/1873-melbourne-st-george-reverse-sovereign-2-3-4

Have you any @sg86 ? Be interesting to see some closeups

Learn something new everyday!

I've never heard of the small 3 variation. Personally I think he's wrong. I've haven't done any fancy measurememnts on the photos but to my eyes, it's not the 3 that's small but the 7 that's too large!

Yours look that way too.

I’m not sure if it’s smaller that’s why I asked SG86 if he had any to compare. There’s something different about it though as sovtracker notes. The ‘small variety’ or ‘dodgy 3’ doesn’t look even to me, the top part of the 3 not curling as far towards the Center line as as the bottom section. The other 3 looks symmetrical