• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

4 hours ago, xthomasx said:

Oh yes, everyone is right. It's not a Narrow Shield. I compared it to my hi-res photos of real Narrow Shields.

I wonder what happened - it is slabbed, after all - and what the buyer will do when he/she finds out...

They would have a legit claim against either the auctioner or PCGS I would think. Not sure if the TPG guarantee only applies to the person who slabbed it?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 2 weeks later...

hi all just got a 1872 shield sovereign.it has a mark on it that looks like it was a mint error.there is also a  line going through the lettering.

i have looked through a few books and searched the net but cant fined answers .will it add or subtract to the value of the coin?what do you guys think.1705597284_minterror2.thumb.jpg.cce0b81c7ee6bc94b1e9df06751a5b17.jpg1409022095_minterror1.thumb.jpg.d25067dc5fe363864a63c524cd49e29e.jpg

4 hours ago, drakesterling said:

Looks like a die chip. Interesting variety, but not significantly valuable. Would be of interest to a sovereign error collector.

Eric

Interesting thought. Never seen one myself but perfectly reasonable that a few faulty coins could get out before the mint staff discovered the problem.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 11/12/2018 at 21:03, Xander said:

Any suggestions what is going on with the 2 in date.

WIN_20181211_20_47_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20181211_20_49_07_Pro.jpg

I've got a few of these, think I listed them as 2/1, sorry I'm not at home so can't check my database. Either way can't tell from the photos as they aren't large enough, but that would be my guess :)

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

On 20/12/2018 at 17:31, shark said:

hi all just got a 1872 shield sovereign.it has a mark on it that looks like it was a mint error.there is also a  line going through the lettering.

i have looked through a few books and searched the net but cant fined answers .will it add or subtract to the value of the coin?what do you guys think.1705597284_minterror2.thumb.jpg.cce0b81c7ee6bc94b1e9df06751a5b17.jpg1409022095_minterror1.thumb.jpg.d25067dc5fe363864a63c524cd49e29e.jpg

Die flaw of some kind, not an edge knock imho.

Die flaws are very very common (the lines running through the legend that you refer to), virtually all coins have something, but I've never seen one like this.

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

On 20/12/2018 at 17:31, shark said:

Could it be from being mounted?

18 hours ago, Xander said:

Could it be from being mounted?

Not if it's the only one on the coin, don't see why someone would mount it there 🙂

The Gold Sovereign

On 23/12/2018 at 17:07, shark said:

i have read it could be a die cud /break and the line through the letters is a die crack. not to many examples on sovereigns i think.

As I said above a massive % of sovereigns have die cracks/flaws, the complete failing of a die and this type of filling is definitely rarer but not sure its at all desirable to collectors (certainly not me) 

The Gold Sovereign

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an odd one.

This has been looked at by a few of our excellent members via PM’s but so far no concensus on what is happening here with the last 8 as clearly it can’t be an 8 due to 1838 being first yr if Victoria etc.

To me it looks like it could possibly be an overstrike 6 over an 8, which would put it as a correct age 1836

E96B4F39-A0B4-4873-9A82-52E7B24E764D.jpeg

Edited by Kritika

1 hour ago, Xander said:

Could this be it? An overstrike from a sixpence die. 

Its hard to tell I would ideally need to see a clearer image of a sixpence overstrikes to compare it properly.

My main concern  is, will detract from the value of the coin, i.e.. is it just worth its billion weight etc.

29 minutes ago, Kritika said:

Its hard to tell I would ideally need to see a clearer image of a sixpence overstrikes to compare it properly.

My main concern  is, will detract from the value of the coin, i.e.. is it just worth its billion weight etc.

You can also narrow it down with the band that holds the lower garnishing around the shield together, some coins have a plain centre area, others have a central incuse line added across the centre the bar. I don't think it would detract from the value. 

22 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

If it was the OBV, as it was the OBV that was struck from a 6d die. Spink 3832. The 1836 would need a better close-up of the date

Here is a Slightly better picture, adding the Obverse. If you look through this one seems to have a horizontal bar through the garnish bar.

IMG_0287[1].JPG