• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

6 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Do these show the same style R or just demonstrating that medals have punches dies? If I could find an R on another coin produced at the mint that would be incredible!

The "font" is the same, so likely the punches used to prepare the dies were used to engrave the war medals. Now I know even less about medals than I know about sovereigns but you definitely have some hidden gems in your shieldback stack!

• 2 weeks later...

Not an error I've seen before, not sure if any have been recorded but this clearly looks like a C over G, thoughts? To the eye it's a lot more obvious in fact, looks nothing like a normal G which is why I looked closer

Apologies for the awful picture, messing around with copy stand but it seems the angle is no good for very very close ups and making coins look "smoother", the angle of copy stand shows every single scratch

20180528_0014.jpg.e17f4d219e91936d765481fa85c5204f.jpg

20180528_0011.thumb.jpg.eda7d10308f95a25622f80a277266a22.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

• 2 weeks later...

Any opinions on this strange "1" ? I can only think it's possibly a half sovereign 1, doesn't look just like a burr because it's raised at the same point?

Again apologies for the poor pictures, still trying to get a good microscope that has fine control at higher magnification

2018-06-09-114135.thumb.jpg.49a49ded7a06bbf7ad5d7ea40e7d3120.jpg

2018-06-09-114919.thumb.jpg.30db5dd4ee23fd0e0d1af0cd8d9084a2.jpg

2018-06-09-115017.thumb.jpg.a567bbd8082ae07837dcd0d5ca27ecfc.jpg

2018-06-09-115625.thumb.jpg.0e45c4d3ee8c67f1522e73d42a227ba0.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

4 minutes ago, augur said:

Is this double contour common? I seem to have it on my presumed fake shieldback?

In my experience die doubling is extremely common in shields yes, I actually find it quite annoying when people list them as "errors", because they aren't at all in my opinion at least as they are so very common

I'm sure you are aware but if not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubled_die

What do you think about this 1? the first picture maybe highlights quite how extreme it is the best, my DSLR would capture it better but that's for another day

The Gold Sovereign

12 minutes ago, augur said:

Mine is limited to just "EI GRATIA" 

it does look like a smaller 1 was overstruck with the regular size. 

Yea the doubling can be the whole legend, slight or very offset, or just limited to a few letters.

The Gold Sovereign

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting markings on my 1859 Sovereign Ansell variety...looks like five distinct lines running at about 350 degrees in Victoria’s ear. I know the distinctive feature of the Ansell was an extra line in the ribbon band used to tie back her hair, but this is another distinction that I haven’t seen documented. Anyone have any thoughts or know of such documented characteristic of the 1859 Ansell Sovereign?

4B75E572-B25E-4C95-A48D-8C0A725C1719.jpeg

F7048B85-AFFF-4B76-A49A-6D7D7BB29F32.jpeg

758A09A9-3FE7-4675-848C-7436DFC1180A.jpeg

Edited by CadmiumGreen

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2018 at 23:46, CadmiumGreen said:

Interesting markings on my 1859 Sovereign Ansell variety...looks like five distinct lines running at about 350 degrees in Victoria’s ear. I know the distinctive feature of the Ansell was an extra line in the ribbon band used to tie back her hair, but this is another distinction that I haven’t seen documented. Anyone have any thoughts or know of such documented characteristic of the 1859 Ansell Sovereign?

As discussed a little in PM, looks like tooling marks. Found something similar on another YH so maybe someone with die creation knowledge can chime in.

8800-1.thumb.png.8adc23514daff26fe45b1bf60c38c78e.png

8800-3.thumb.png.47d7bc0dd705aca4546f38616c8ea523.png

The Gold Sovereign

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, drakesterling said:

The 2002 £2 has two varieties of milling. The fine milling is the scarcer type.

Eric

Was it due to an error or because they only got supplied in a set? I guess it's just the proof versions that have this.

13 minutes ago, drakesterling said:

The mint just used different collars. Why, I'm not sure. A similar variety exists on the 2017 SOTD sovs.

It would be interesting to see if these sorts of varieties exist on other issues.

Eric

I misread your earlier reply, didn't see it was just the £2 that had the two different milled edges.

It would be interesting if other issues had the same, especially if any bullion versions were done like this as well as the proofs.

47 minutes ago, CadmiumGreen said:

1, 2, 3, 4...63, 64, 64, 65, 66...cr@p, lost count!?

Reminds me of the time when a storeman was counting the amount of M3 plain nuts in a drawer for an audit. I slapped him on the back and said; 'how's it going geezer', only for him to lose count and chase me out of the stores wanting to kill me?

I hate audits but not as much he did that day?

• 3 weeks later...

https://sites.google.com/view/thepettyhoard/the-indian-sovereigns

This link shows the mintage list of all Indian I mintmark sovereigns. Apologies if previously posted beforehand.

MINTAGES

The total mintage of the 1918 Indian Sovereign struck at the Royal Mint's Bombay Branch was 12,94,372.

The total mintages of the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Indian Sovereigns struck at the MMTC-PAMP facility at Rojko-Meo Industrial Estate in District Mewat, Haryana are as follows:

• 2013 Sovereign | 94,790
  • 2014 Sovereign | 60,471
  • 2014 Half-sovereign | 62,000
  • 2015 Sovereign | 64,500
  • 2016 Sovereign | 45,000
  • There doesn't appear to be any mintage numbers for 2017
Edited by MickB

30 minutes ago, MickB said:

https://sites.google.com/view/thepettyhoard/the-indian-sovereigns

This link shows the mintage list of all Indian I mintmark sovereigns. Apologies if previously posted beforehand.

MINTAGES

The total mintage of the 1918 Indian Sovereign struck at the Royal Mint's Bombay Branch was 12,94,372.

The total mintages of the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 Indian Sovereigns struck at the MMTC-PAMP facility at Rojko-Meo Industrial Estate in District Mewat, Haryana are as follows:

• 2013 Sovereign | 94,790
  • 2014 Sovereign | 60,471
  • 2014 Half-sovereign | 62,000
  • 2015 Sovereign | 64,500
  • 2016 Sovereign | 45,000
  • There doesn't appear to be any mintage numbers for 2017

This is interesting. Thanks for posting.

I spent some time on the site, but I couldn't see who the author was or how to contact them. Is the author known here?

Eric

Edited by drakesterling
added a question.

4 hours ago, drakesterling said:

This is interesting. Thanks for posting.

I spent some time on the site, but I couldn't see who the author was or how to contact them. Is the author known here?

Eric

Maybe @sovereignsteve would know on the off chance of who the author is.

It's quite handy for the mintages but it looks as though the site isn't finished yet.

• 1 month later...

I've not been posting many new finds, too many to do so until I've got the time to log and photograph everything properly!

Though this is something a bit different, unrecorded of course and not something I've seen before on other dates. An inverted 1 for I in DEI

Just a shame the coin isn't nicer, it's always the way when you find a nice error that the coin isn't great!

20181012_0004_01.thumb.jpg.e53404a4de3cdc07abcc985a994c1287.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

44 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Just a shame the coin isn't nicer, it's always the way when you find a nice error that the coin isn't great!

That'll be why it hasn't been noticed before, they don't get the detailed attention from the serious collectors or auction houses.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon