• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

On 08/09/2019 at 10:35, Lindeman said:

Thanks guys. Good to learn the difference @sovereignsteve. I’m glad I got it graded still because at least I will remember why I graded this one out of my (limited ) shield collection. So Steve - if I was ever to sell this coin, what would be the correct terminology “ double struck on the date “? 

Just now, sg86 said:

Yes I was going to say @Lindeman this isn't an error or variety it's just been double struck, very common.

It's actually rare in my experience to see one that is doubled on the date but not elsewhere on the legend; usually seen on 3 - 5 or so consecutive letter.

I've no idea why it happens just to part of the coin face (letters, numbers) and not the whole coin. You don't see any of the face detail similarly doubled.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

It's actually rare in my experience to see one that is doubled on the date but not elsewhere on the legend; usually seen on 3 - 5 or so consecutive letter.

I've no idea why it happens just to part of the coin face (letters, numbers) and not the whole coin. You don't see any of the face detail similarly doubled.

To be honest I've not looked for dates doubled and legends not, they just occur randomly in my experience and really not at all interesting (for me anyway), so I've not looked further than that.

I've seen 3 letters of a legend, whole legends, half legend, dates etc, so sure it's not going to be so rare just being the date

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Right, back to a real error, what are your thoughts on this then!?

One is clearly the recorded 4/inverted 4, but the other I cannot decide on, maybe just 4 over lower 4?

20190909_0003-2.jpg.d25ce2aecf3b4b66a6a5fbdf8be35191.jpg

20190909_0004-2.thumb.jpg.a85391464456922f3d858bbb2b2ac3c9.jpg

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, BullionForLess said:

1871 Victoria Young Head Shield Back Gold Sovereign

Nice coin but there again, all shields are nice😊

Not sure what your point is; this is a thread about overdates, errors and varieties.😉

Curious though, are they the same coin? The colour is different and the obverse is a lot more worn than the reverse.

On 05/10/2019 at 16:55, sovereignsteve said:

Nice coin but there again, all shields are nice😊

Not sure what your point is; this is a thread about overdates, errors and varieties.😉

Curious though, are they the same coin? The colour is different and the obverse is a lot more worn than the reverse.

Yes they're the same coin... Just maybe something wrong with Images (or maybe the camera setting is too warm on the other pic)

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2019 at 15:55, BullionForLess said:

Yes they're the same coin... Just maybe something wrong with Images (or maybe the camera setting is too warm on the other pic)

wrong thread

The Gold Sovereign

46 minutes ago, augur said:

It seems more that a different size/font was used and then corrected. 4 over 4?

Not sure how likely a different font would be used, maybe a smaller/half sov 4 yea, but i'm leaning towards it being 4/lower 4, so will record it as that for now.

The Gold Sovereign

Now i've seen this error on the F recorded I believe before as F/A or something silly, quite a few of the recorded errors I've changed in my reference as I just don't agree, things like T/V in victoria which is clearly just a tilted T. What do you think, is this just an F over higher F?

Edit: added some detail from the Bentley collector who also seems to lean towards a higher F

Picture isn't my best, I'm trying to see if I can get the errors using the copystand axial lighting method but it's not working out as well as my older tripod method, just this will take a long time to keep changing the setup around per coin :(

Nice to get the errors on a nicer coin though, this coin actually has 3 errors.

offtopic: this coin and some others I've had has some really sticky material that ultrasonic won't remove, best method to try and boil it?

20191018_0007.thumb.jpg.c87b4ee2c3a90594edfacbcd37eea137.jpg

20191018_0004.thumb.jpg.c236d95f54e068f6a021346fec4c598d.jpg

20191018_101859.thumb.jpg.b48fb6e58fb01c17c11d268a9a87efb8.jpg

20191018_101912.thumb.jpg.38a732887cbab26466ce152185e8e7d9.jpg

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

8 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Looks like an "F" over "V" to me (and a double "E").

They've measured the prongs and apparently too narrow for a V or an A :)

I really don't want to record something wrong, but I think i'll have to put a note on this coin or something

The Gold Sovereign

3 minutes ago, sg86 said:

They've measured the prongs and apparently too narrow for a V or an A :)

I really don't want to record something wrong, but I think i'll have to put a note on this coin or something

To me, it is certainly not "F" over "F".

5 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

To me, it is certainly not "F" over "F".

What's your reasoning for these bars? This is what I see all the time for higher letters, this cannot be found on an A or V punch.

When a character is overpunched the letter underneath isn't complete most of the time, maybe the first punch was broken or similar, I don't think a higher F can be ruled out at all as it's the most likely scenario. The E before it was too high, the F was too high and they corrected both

I wish I could photograph properly from my microscope so you could see what i'm seeing :)

Even the middle part of the F has the same shape, nothing like and A or V bar which is straight.

20191018_0004_01 (copy).jpg

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

Forgot I had an E-mount adapter for my scope, I need to find tune this as the plane is clear not 100% adjacent but for now this is the clearest I can get, I hope to be able to get closer than this in the future for error photos :)

If you open the image fully you can zoom right in, its 6000px

DSC09861.thumb.JPG.51f863247a3ba690e51028f765c3faeb.JPG

The Gold Sovereign

15 minutes ago, sg86 said:

What's your reasoning for these bars? This is what I see all the time for higher letters, this cannot be found on an A or V punch.

When a character is overpunched the letter underneath isn't complete most of the time, maybe the first punch was broken or similar, I don't think a higher F can be ruled out at all as it's the most likely scenario. The E before it was too high, the F was too high and they corrected both

I wish I could photograph properly from my microscope so you could see what i'm seeing :)

Even the middle part of the F has the same shape, nothing like and A or V bar which is straight.

20191018_0004_01 (copy).jpg

Good question!  I was wondering if it could be a "y" but I guess you would expect the prongs at the top to be flatter (as you would also expect with a "V" or an inverted "A").

Just now, Zhorro said:

Good question!  I was wondering if it could be a "y" but I guess you would expect the prongs at the top to be flatter (as you would also expect with a "V" or an inverted "A").

Plus the fact that a Y is never used 🤣

Look at my scope image and see what I mean by the middle bar from the F

The Gold Sovereign

13 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Forgot I had an E-mount adapter for my scope, I need to find tune this as the plane is clear not 100% adjacent but for now this is the clearest I can get, I hope to be able to get closer than this in the future for error photos :)

If you open the image fully you can zoom right in, its 6000px

DSC09861.thumb.JPG.51f863247a3ba690e51028f765c3faeb.JPG

This is a superb picture - but I don't think I am going to be able to help.  I suppose it could be a small "F" but some of the top would have had to have been chipped away?

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

This is a superb picture - but I don't think I am going to be able to help.  I suppose it could be a small "F" but some of the top would have had to have been chipped away?

Thanks, I guess for now it'll remain an unsolved mystery! When I've got through the 100s of other errors I'll come back to the trickier ones and do some further research maybe with electron scopes!

The Gold Sovereign

10 minutes ago, quentin said:

Hello good day 
We are gold trader and end seller of gold in Cameroon, and need serious buyer for long term contract 
Our Gold purity is 96.75%
22 carat plus 
Price $33000 per kg (negotiable).
Any serious buyer should contact me for more information: Whatsap: +237690934836 Or email: miningglobaltrading@gmail.com

do you have any rare overdate victoria sovereigns? I would buy as many as you have at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. 
I was wondering if anyone had seen an 1872 Queen Victoria young head die cast number 1? 
I believe these are rare because of the errors on them, apparently a lot of them were smelted down to cast other coins. 

8C76B4A9-EB61-4936-B93C-C5386CE978CB.png

On 13/11/2019 at 21:26, Yorky said:

Evening all. 
I was wondering if anyone had seen an 1872 Queen Victoria young head die cast number 1? 
I believe these are rare because of the errors on them, apparently a lot of them were smelted down to cast other coins. 

8C76B4A9-EB61-4936-B93C-C5386CE978CB.png

Hi @Yorky, yes I have 6 of these, what exactly have you read about errors? What do you see?

The Gold Sovereign

Hi @Yorky those are both just die clashes, quite common. The top bit by the crown is vicky's neck :)

The Gold Sovereign