• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

This is my Egyptian 2 Piastres coin featuring King Farouk, it was minted in 1937 out of .833 silver by the British Royal Mint.
Farouk became king of Egypt when his dad Fuad I died in 1936, he was only 18 at the time and was studying in London, the first of these coins were minted in 1937, further production was only in 1939 and 1942, and of the years produced some are far rarer than others as seen below, 

1937,  500,000 minted
1939,  500,000 minted
1942,  10,000,000 minted

Most I see are quite well worn so I was really happy to find this UNC one I love the design of this coin, plus the fact I wonder how many were melted down when the king had to go into exile due to his country revolting against him and his excesses.
In 1944 this denomination of coin was made in a hexagonal shape and now of .500 silver, it was made for one year only with 32,000,000 being minted.

DSCN2936.thumb.JPG.a1eb287ddbd7cf7de9d93f9f8c5a3364.JPG

DSCN2938.thumb.JPG.5ef1b11e692be0d857ef3b11c677961f.JPG

I originally ordered this coin on 19 March and returned it to the Royal Mint after speaking with them by email, because it was jammed inside its capsule (the capsule was too small for the coin).  They received the returned coin on 2 April.

After waiting almost 3 months and chasing them multiple times by email, phone and their facebook page, the replacement coin arrived today.

Unbelievably - it was also sent out in a capsule that was too small for the coin.... 💣😠😲🥵

This time, however, I have managed to extract the coin from the capsule (very carefully and painstakingly) and put it into a capsule that actually fits the coin properly.

The coin is not perfect, it has a couple of small nicks - likely to have been caused when it was originally pressed into the too-small capsule - but I can live with it.  I certainly have no desire to send this one back, wait another 3 months, only to receive yet another coin in a too-small capsule...

I will chalk it up to experience, and only order from them again unless the product I want is completely unavailable anywhere else.

Anyway - here it is:

_20200630_181515.JPG

Edited by Stuntman

3 hours ago, auleAboutNumismatics said:

What a beauty! 😍

Saw many other cases at the background too!

It is lovely. I had the stand made also to sit the case on. I think it will show off a slabbed collection beautifully. 

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

1 hour ago, 1817Karl said:

It is lovely. I had the stand made also to sit the case on. I think it will show off a slabbed collection beautifully. 

Looks like a gift from a royal - looks like the plate says B E H and 'gift 1922'? Wish I knew what the crown over the three diamonds symbolises (below the Coat of Arms). Lovely item.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, jultorsk said:

Looks like a gift from a royal - looks like the plate says B E H and 'gift 1922'? Wish I knew what the crown over the three diamonds symbolises (below the Coat of Arms). Lovely item.

I think that the small crown and three pips are a link to the military 

3 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

I think that the small crown and three pips are a link to the military 

"Pips" - thank you! So a Brigadier General. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.48.57 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, jultorsk said:

"Pips" - thank you! So a Brigadier General. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.48.57 am.png

Yes the case is Victorian and likely gifted to a high ranking British Military Officer (in 1922). They were used to carry official military documents around by high ranking officers. In this case a Brigadier. You do occasionally find others belonging to other Ranks, not normally below Colonel. 

3 hours ago, jultorsk said:

It's not likely a gift from a royal... The case would have been made in the Reign of Victoria and therefore her Coat of Arms would have been placed on the case in brass.  This one is super high quality, its unusual to have such a large and well detailed Coat Of Arms like this. Coupled with the Crocodile leather makes it a stunning example. A suitable housing for a Sovereign collection! 

13 hours ago, 1817Karl said:

Picking this little beauty up tomorrow... I intend to get the inside fitted out to hold slabbed coins and it will hold around 130+ slabs. The inside is oak lined with brass corners, hinges etc and a stunning Coat of Arms. It's around 100 - 120 years old and will make a beautiful and unique holder for the discerning collector! Happy to talk to anyone who may be interested in one.  

5A882673-9FFA-4DB7-9CAD-8276E2C1CC82.jpeg

D4D2F4D8-539E-4CF8-9E68-1B7E3CB93EE0.jpeg

51B8BDB4-A5A5-40A7-AF2B-13FA0BAFDE11.jpeg

EA9D9C38-FA2B-40EB-9F2C-0207691C545C.jpeg

C8F7C0FE-3A2C-4810-8FCD-6DABC1EE48C2.jpeg

39C2D220-EAE9-4466-86EA-53E46A6C736E.jpeg

AEFD7403-DF9A-43D1-848B-5C8EFD39CFA5.jpeg

Last image showing the internal area and some NGC boxes. It will fit around 130 slabs, depends how the internal area is configured. Not sure how this will be done at this stage... Any ideas welcome!

28DB776A-27C4-4CB9-834E-4896795C264D_1_201_a.jpeg

24 minutes ago, 1817Karl said:

Last image showing the internal area and some NGC boxes. It will fit around 130 slabs, depends how the internal area is configured. Not sure how this will be done at this stage... Any ideas welcome!

Have a look around for some existing commercial slab holding cases and remove their internals and have them felt covered or something like that and fitted into there.