• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

What about a free fortune cookie? 

What you ate was not chicken! :D 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

1 hour ago, FFposh said:

Three (technically six) tiny Pandas in OMP, this morning courtesy of @BleyerBullion. They had three left in stock, and with their multibuy offer, I couldn't resist. Along with the Kangaroos, I think I'll get these annually.

Great deal and swift despatch, thanks to the Bleyer team down in Devon! Any marks/dust is on plastic, coins seem perfect to me. A happy customer indeed!

And a nice little personalised note from Lisa on the invoice. Small things👍.

PXL_20220720_095407239.jpg

PXL_20220720_095458845.jpg

PXL_20220720_095644822.jpg

Love these little pandas. I have one in my 1/10 collection but it has a much bigger meaning to me then just being part of a collection. Every time I see one, it stirs a little something in me. Nice addition to your stack mucker!

15 minutes ago, FFposh said:

And indeed you would be right in that regard. And for that reason I have several one ounce coins for each of my three kids.

But with respect, it doesn't always come down to lowest cost average when buying for kids, trying to keep things equal in case I get knocked over by a bus tomorrow 🤷

Also, from what I can gather, these 1/10s seem to retain much of their premium when offered for resale anyway.

I suppose it all boils down to why you buy gold in the first place, it's not all about absolute profit margins for me, it has evolved into a fun way to save for 3 kids futures rather than have cash sitting in the bank doing nothing. The fact that it hasn't been frittered away on rubbish is a big thing too.

A few quid saved on a one ounce coin over a quarter or a tenth is neither here nor there really, it means we can build a diverse and eclectic collection/stack, having fun along the way.

🤓

Here here and well said mucker. It's also a little easier to sell off part of your stack. Most people can afford a 1/10 or 1/4 at a time instead of a full oz. Much easier liquidity and buy back then Oz's. 

Edited by Mtaybar

28 minutes ago, FFposh said:

And indeed you would be right in that regard. And for that reason I have several one ounce coins for each of my three kids.

But with respect, it doesn't always come down to lowest cost average when buying for kids, trying to keep things equal in case I get knocked over by a bus tomorrow 🤷

Also, from what I can gather, these 1/10s seem to retain much of their premium when offered for resale anyway.

I suppose it all boils down to why you buy gold in the first place, it's not all about absolute profit margins for me, it has evolved into a fun way to save for 3 kids futures rather than have cash sitting in the bank doing nothing. The fact that it hasn't been frittered away on rubbish is a big thing too.

A few quid saved on a one ounce coin over a quarter or a tenth is neither here nor there really, it means we can build a diverse and eclectic collection/stack, having fun along the way.

🤓

Yes, I understand all of that, and more.

My post was probably too long as it was. I could have made it book length, but that would have been counter productive, as nobody would have read it.

I tned to presume people are buying for investment, or want the best valus, unless I know otherwise.

Buying small sizes when new is almost guaranteed to be poor value, buying them secondary market at lower premiums makes some sense.

There is a good Advice page, with links, here:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

Some of the links need development work, but eventually, this source should cover about 99% of sensible advice.

😎

Chards

59 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

Here here and well said mucker. It's also a little easier to sell off part of your stack. Most people can afford a 1/10 or 1/4 at a time instead of a full oz. Much easier liquidity and buy back then Oz's. 

Price is a big thing. At £1500 a pop, I could comfortably buy say 3x1oz gold coins a year. But I like buying gold and silver. I'd far rather have many purchases over the year of lots of smaller expenses. 

While it is obviously a consideration, percentages and premiums are not the be all and end all for me.

I buy what appeals to me, and my tastes and thoughts have changed over the 4 or so years I've been doing this. Much less random silver now, slight step towards gold (but not too much for the above reason). I have some silver collections/date runs that are ongoing and have traded out some random silver for 2022 sovereigns.

I have said a few times on this forum that my intention is that my final stack/collection will be the property of my kids eventually. If it sparks the collector/stacker in them, then great. If they sell it and spend the proceeds on something, then also great. Either way is a win for them.

I approach PMs as a hobby, not a business.

44 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Price is a big thing. At £1500 a pop, I could comfortably buy say 3x1oz gold coins a year. But I like buying gold and silver. I'd far rather have many purchases over the year of lots of smaller expenses. 

While it is obviously a consideration, percentages and premiums are not the be all and end all for me.

I buy what appeals to me, and my tastes and thoughts have changed over the 4 or so years I've been doing this. Much less random silver now, slight step towards gold (but not too much for the above reason). I have some silver collections/date runs that are ongoing and have traded out some random silver for 2022 sovereigns.

I have said a few times on this forum that my intention is that my final stack/collection will be the property of my kids eventually. If it sparks the collector/stacker in them, then great. If they sell it and spend the proceeds on something, then also great. Either way is a win for them.

I approach PMs as a hobby, not a business.

If little and often works for you stack sovereigns. I've far more sovereigns than 1oz much easier to commit and buy on a £350 sovereign than hitting buy on a £1500 for 1oz

6 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Catching up on my photos.  They're all in caps, so forgive the slight reflections.

Thanks to @stefffana (long overdue photos of the beautiful Perth Mint Sov), @Paul for the Lion, @Rat for the roos, and @ArgentSmith for the Angel.

20220720-153244-DSC_0494.thumb.jpg.f51018fa57041497e59be20d686e709e.jpg

20220720-153149-DSC_0492.thumb.jpg.832f9ff82f1734f4de4154752046a528.jpg

20220720-152858-DSC_0490.thumb.jpg.44f0debafaf34eb821a29d133be709c3.jpg

20220720-152837-DSC_0489.thumb.jpg.50cfaf9a9753ef1b399f3ebd5adeb2bd.jpg

20220720-152200-DSC_0482.thumb.jpg.712f0090d7e42b2607659c55b7620e27.jpg

20220720-152135-DSC_0481.thumb.jpg.415a84a6d4b251a073c86eb69209be92.jpg

20220720-152109-DSC_0480.thumb.jpg.0316a8f311bb6f56a08809db310df52a.jpg

For the photographically / technically minded, today's were handheld with a flash bouncing off the ceiling, a 150mm macro and full frame DSLR.  My choice would definitely not be a 150mm for coins; I use a longer focal length so I can take shots of insects without getting too close; but I use what I have.

Particularly with the small coins, I am basically at 1:1, so each pixel in the image is about 6µm.  Put another way, a hair would be 10+ pixels wide.  At this scale, dust is the enemy, and shows up everywhere!

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

8 minutes ago, Charverdude said:

Today I recieved from the royal mint all items that I had stored in the royal mint vault, 

sad to see all this go , might just look at it all for an hour or so before doing for sale post 😢😢

8683F1C0-6869-499F-B7EF-B26DF437DE01.jpeg

Hours up , get that sales post rocking..

On a serious note ,heartbreaking but at least you have it to fall back on I guess.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

22 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

So today I received a 1/2 oz 2022 gold Eagle from @BleyerBullion

Finishes my set off nicely in the Airtite display case (one more still for sale)

Lovely feeling filling that last hole.

4FA85E78-5A29-4B85-A2EE-D5F1062E8622.jpeg

6A2E5A37-7CBF-4932-8A3C-1885D8547562.jpeg

Thanks for the lovely comments, pleased you are so happy with your coin. We look forward to hearing from you again soon. Caroline

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

On a serious note ,heartbreaking but at least you have it to fall back on I guess.

It’s only been 13 min 😳 not finished crying over them yet , 

gutted mate but light at end of tunnel then soon can start journey again 👍😁

5 hours ago, FFposh said:

Three (technically six) tiny Pandas in OMP, this morning courtesy of @BleyerBullion. They had three left in stock, and with their multibuy offer, I couldn't resist. Along with the Kangaroos, I think I'll get these annually.

Great deal and swift despatch, thanks to the Bleyer team down in Devon! Any marks/dust is on plastic, coins seem perfect to me. A happy customer indeed!

And a nice little personalised note from Lisa on the invoice. Small things👍.

PXL_20220720_095407239.jpg

PXL_20220720_095458845.jpg

PXL_20220720_095644822.jpg

We're very happy you like our service and love the coins. We look forward to hearing from you next time you need something. Have a nice evening, Caroline

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

30 minutes ago, SovereignBishop said:

Lovely feeling filling that last hole.

are-you-being-served-slocombe.gif

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

29 minutes ago, James32 said:

Get in line!

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

3 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

This is true mate.

The bigger point to remember beyond the methods of accumulating PMs, is the fact that we are all still accumulating them in the first place. Methods change according to budgets and circumstances but we are all part of this community, and all bring different things to the table. 

As @Mtaybar eluded to, if gold rises much more, and given the current financial crisis with the cost of living going through the roof, a large percentage of people who might once have looked at buying one ounce coins may well find themselves priced out and have to look at the smaller denominations just to stay in the game. 

Eventually a Sovereign or 1/4 Brit for example may become the new one ounce, and the ouncer just a pipe dream, much as a 50-100g bar might be for the majority today.

Anyway, we are all friends here, let's not lose sight of the fact that we are all very privileged to have a spare few quid to put towards our hobby of collecting metals in any of its forms or denominations.

PS, I still need another 1/10 Elephant (not 2016 nor 2021) just to even things up, and yes, I know it's not the most economical way of doing things👍🤷. Maybe in August I'll go looking properly.

Enjoy the slightly cooler weather guys, take care 

18 hours ago, FFposh said:

As @Mtaybar eluded to, if gold rises much more, and given the current financial crisis with the cost of living going through the roof, a large percentage of people who might once have looked at buying one ounce coins may well find themselves priced out and have to look at the smaller denominations just to stay in the game

Maybe worth a separate thread but the "rich" are getting richer too maybe kilo bars are the way to go?

Will we see times where it isn't worth selling a tenth or a quarter Oz because you can't buy anything with £200 or £300 🤔 I mean can barely feed myself and fill the car up for a week on that as it is now 😂

4 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Maybe worth a separate thread but the "rich" are getting richer too maybe kilo bars are the way to go?

Will we see times where it isn't worth selling a tenth or a quarter Oz because you can't buy anything with £200 or £300 🤔 I mean can barely feed myself and fill the car up for a week on that as it is now 😂

I'm glad you can afford kilo gold bars. That'll be me selling a kidney on the black market to afford them 😀

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/