• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

9 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Hi mate can you get some closer pictures of the die number? Possibly a 2/  something. 

this is the closest I can get on my phone, it looks like a 3 or an 8. More like an 3 to me though. What are your thoughts/significance of the number?

Cheers,

James

IMG_9125.jpg

23 minutes ago, darkninja1985 said:

this is the closest I can get on my phone, it looks like a 3 or an 8. More like an 3 to me though. What are your thoughts/significance of the number?

Cheers,

James

IMG_9125.jpg

It's hard to see, just the 2 looks like it has a lot of mass, the die numbers were to act as quality control to record the numbers of strikes a die set could be used.  Some times you see numbers over numbers or letters over letters, date overs etc, I have seen die number overs, just something I like to look out for, all part of the massive rabbit holes you will go down!

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It's hard to see, just the 2 looks like it has a lot of mass, 

Looking at the overall coin it does look like there is a lot of wear on it. That might be why the 2 looks like it does. Can anyone confirm this type of thing happens to coins that have passed numurous hands throughout time?

14 minutes ago, Agaumac said:

My first ever hand poured silver.

The start of another slippery slope methinks 

057B7DBF-3934-4286-AD1C-7086F4FDCB9A.jpeg

Mac, 

Love it. Love them! I've now got 14 poured BYB pieces, admittedly, some I've got for the missus. Maybe I should get them all together and get a pic uploaded :) 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

5 minutes ago, darkninja1985 said:

Looking at the overall coin it does look like there is a lot of wear on it. That might be why the 2 looks like it does. Can anyone confirm this type of thing happens to coins that have passed numurous hands throughout time?

Wear can effect the appearance of a coin but it does not add mass, you can get a worn die and you can get mushy numbers/letters. Just something interesting to look out for.  

4 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Mac, 

Love it. Love them! I've now got 14 poured BYB pieces, admittedly, some I've got for the missus. Maybe I should get them all together and get a pic uploaded :) 

I've hit the rocky road to BYB ruin too... 1oz bars, 100grm bars, and now the 3oz and 5oz rounds..... i'm sure he has a hotline to the part in my brain that effects rational decision making...😂 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

3 minutes ago, Gordy said:

I've hit the rocky road to BYB ruin too... 1oz bars, 100grm bars, and now the 3oz and 5oz rounds..... i'm sure he has a hotline to the part in my brain that effects rational decision making...😂 

I've got the same.

I also have a ripple heart and then hand beaten (just for @HerefordBullyun) 5oz, 10oz, 20oz and the absolute beastly 40oz that is my profile pic.

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

Just now, Gruff said:

I've got the same.

I also have a ripple heart and then hand beaten (just for @HerefordBullyun) 5oz, 10oz, 20oz and the absolute beastly 40oz that is my profile pic.

that 40oz is an absolute beast.... and something like it is on my radar when i get fed up of my standard bullion or they go all dairy on me... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, Gordy said:

that 40oz is an absolute beast.... and something like it is on my radar when i get fed up of my standard bullion or they go all dairy on me... 

That's exactly what I did, when I spoke to BYB, I purchased a load of milk-spotted 1oz coins from this forum and then got him to use that

15 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Wear can effect the appearance of a coin but it does not add mass, you can get a worn die and you can get mushy numbers/letters. Just something interesting to look out for.  

Cool, thanks for the info. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it more of a unique part of the coin?

27 minutes ago, darkninja1985 said:

Cool, thanks for the info. Is this something I should be concerned about or is it more of a unique part of the coin?

No quite the opposite, if you get date overs etc some people love em, I do.  I don't even mind die breaks I have some sovereigns with almost the identical breaks and I like to see the wear, you can get a feel for when your coin was minted within the life of the die set.