• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

Just received a 1872 young head shield sovereign, a very interesting one!

There's something on the Queen Victoria's face and it looks like an acne.... might be a mint error. 

Also an error message 'invalid cert number' showed when I tried to verify the coin by reading the NFC tag in the PCGS slab. I have inspected the coin under a microscope and pretty sure it's genuine. Already contacted PCGS and waiting for their reply.

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 18.41.09.png

IMG_5611.jpg

Looks like she might have a bit of ear wax?

Also the bun looks very crisp compared to the rest of her hair....Sorry seems like I'm picking holes just a couple of observations.

You say it's in a slab so you purchased it graded? What grade did it get?

Regards

Edited by CollectorNo1
Additional information

12 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Looks like she might have a bit of ear wax?

Also the bun looks very crisp compared to the rest of her hair....Sorry seems like I'm picking holes just a couple of observations.

You say it's in a slab so you purchased it graded? What grade did it get?

Regards

Thank you for your reply.

The grade is AU58. 

Yes I realized the two marks on the bun.... Do you think they are just dent marks or mint error? 

28 minutes ago, AnthonyLinc said:

Thank you for your reply.

The grade is AU58. 

Yes I realized the two marks on the bun.... Do you think they are just dent marks or mint error? 

Well I was referring to the bun on the back of her head..its looks alot less worn than the rest of the coin..like someone has just put it on..haha..but I'm guessing it's just the photo,lighting..its hard to comment truthfully unless it's in hand...regarding the acne 😄 and what appears to be a similar spot in the ear..could be a minting error..'Invalid cert number' is a bit concerning ,I'm not a person that is attracted to grading and slabbing....but like fake coins there are fake slabs with the holographic labels out there as well! 

I'd wait and see what pcgs comes back with.

Regards.

@CollectorNo1

No, I'm buying from local pawn shops or national (german) bullion dealers.

Pawn shops are cheaper, but not a guaranteed find, except for the most common coins.

I have access to two bullion dealers, but I ordered both coins online, using a german directory of trusted dealers.

(Platinum Nobles)

Edited by KevinFlynn

3 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

No, I'm buying from local pawn shops or national (german) bullion dealers.

Pawn shops are cheaper, but not a guaranteed find, except for the most common coins.

I have access to two bullion dealers, but I ordered both coins online, using a german directory of trusted dealers.

(Platinum Nobles)

Well I'm sure you know your platinum...I've never bought,owned any platinum spot atm is $956. But!!! Looking at a 1oz Platinum noble ship coin I know is genuine..the comparison, details and condition against the ones you have shown against the photo I've attached looks alot different in quality...tell me your thoughts.....

image.jpg

2 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Well I'm sure you know your platinum...I've never bought,owned any platinum spot atm is $956. But!!! Looking at a 1oz Platinum noble ship coin I know is genuine..the comparison, details and condition against the ones you have shown against the photo I've attached looks alot different in quality...tell me your thoughts.....

image.jpg

Im a particular fan of the noble as my father owned and still owns a rover 2000tc which is a heavy beast but very comfortable for that age car to drive in and had the viking ship on the grill and steering wheel.

10 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

Second coin in CIT's lovely restrike series of greek ancient coins, the athenian Tetradrachm owl. Propably the most known ancient coin. First in the series was the restrike of the first silvercoin of the western world from more than 2000 years ago, the Tortoise /Aegina Stater. Or better the later ones. At first Aegina minted seaturtles on their coins. After Athens beat them around 456 bc they took Aeginas fleet. Aegina minted after this defeat no more seaturtles, but the tortoise.  I added a picture from the original coin from around 400 bc, unbelievable what they could strike back than.

20210911_130604.jpg

20210911_130124.jpg

20210911_131055.jpg

20210911_131355.jpg

20210911_130629.jpg

20210911_125337.jpg

obverse.png

Really nice. Can these be bought in the U.K.? 

1 minute ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I love the owl and was thinking of buying it..but the price is a bit high for 2oz silver..although it has a very low mintage..I'm still debating on it...what's it like in hand??

It's a 1 OZ for around 130/140€. Is really a lovely coin, antique finished, so don't worry touching it. Extraordinary work again by B.H.Mayer and CIT Coins. I just love those smartminting coins and the owl and tortoise are really outstanding.

11 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

It's a 1 OZ for around 130/140€. Is really a lovely coin, antique finished, so don't worry touching it. Extraordinary work again by B.H.Mayer and CIT Coins. I just love those smartminting coins and the owl and tortoise are really outstanding.

The only one I saw was from mint UK.. they were asking £160 on their site. They also were advertising it on Ebay for £170 - very High premiums 🙄