• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

To go with my Marsh Sovereigns book, I got a copy of the Schlumberger book on European gold coins through AbeBooks.  It's out of print now (1975 according to the copyright notice) and really smells like an old book, but most of these coins are historic so I doubt the content itself is obsolete as such, although the valuations certainly are.  Being of a certain age, much of the photography is a bit potato-quality, though.

image.jpeg.9a4da2bc1bc0aa96e8654b76eb8cb4c8.jpeg

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

I'm not particularly a fan of coloured coins but these ones from CIT do make me think about reconsidering that.  Somebody posted one of the steampunk ones the other day.  They are very nice but also very expensive.

IMHO those CIT coins are the most impressive, if it comes to modern coins. Never seen such accurate strikes, unbelievable details and high reliefs. CIT is also the most innovative mint, or better, coin agency IMHO. They try allways lots of new things, like coloring, inserts, etc., which I don't like allways. But they don't make only for me coins i guess. 

As you mentioned the Steampunk coins, those are outstanding and also timeless designs IMHO. Just small art, minted on coins.

10 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

As you mentioned the Steampunk coins, those are outstanding and also timeless designs IMHO. Just small art, minted on coins.

I think that's the thing with the CIT coins.  Are you buying a coin or a miniature painting?  They're nice, but I'm not sure they're £500 worth of nice.  For much the same reason I've got a few BU Germania coins but I didn't pursue any of the gilded or coloured variants.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:
Australian 1oz Gold Proof Kangaroo 25th Anniversary

Considering that the 1oz Perth Mint silver kangaroo is second in the Plug Ugly Bullion Stakes only to the grotesque Niue Athenian Owl, this gold proof version is a startlingly attractive addendum to my roo collection. With an actual confirmed mintage of a paltry 189 (from a maximum 600) it had rated as my second most desirable gold roo, behind only the elusive RAM 2018 25th Anniversary 1oz.

Huge thanks to the redoubtable@elvee426 for this deal and for his integrity in pointing out an apparent speck of finish loss. Happily it has transpired that this was no more than detritus, resolved with the use my inordinately expensive proprietary custom-built hi-tech numismatic apparatus, shown below.

The coin is accompanied by a revolting two-tone box, more appropriate to a Blackpool souvenir seashell. Forrible.

2014 au Pf Roo rev1.jpg

2014 au Pf Roo obv1a.jpg

2014 au Pf Roo rev2a.jpg

2014 au Pf Roo 9999b.jpg

2014 au Pf Roo Box CoA.jpg

keyboard blower.jpg

Beautiful, I really hate the silver kangaroo, the quokka, koala, and kookaburra evolving designs are very nice. The unchanging silver kanga is not one for me.

9 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Need to catch up on this week's arrivals.  Firstly from the redoubtable @James32, these two.  I now have 3 out 10.  No rush to finish this collection, on the grounds that I like living in a house...

Can't decide whether the Griffin or the Falcon are my favourite designs.  I guess the Griffin, because I have one.  😁

image.thumb.jpeg.314a72d30c61e2808fb74719a3f5db26.jpeg

This Yale needs to teach its younger brother from the Tudor Beasts some grooming tips, because this one's a looker.

image.thumb.jpeg.5da0640023f6ad2353826a58abed7ebe.jpeg

Absolutely stunning! The Griffin definitely stands out the most for me!

5 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

And finally, another from @elvee426.  Yes, it was me.  This thing is stunning.  Ever seen a 1oz, 999.99 gold sovereign?  Me neither.

You can thank me now for removing the temptation from everyone.  🤣

image.thumb.jpeg.43e71e592a2e03202db3d7891042dab5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f200be1d4bc0e5caadac6b15520b9f74.jpeg

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I am blinded by it's majesty, paralysed, dumstruck. 

12 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

And finally, another from @elvee426.  Yes, it was me.  This thing is stunning.  Ever seen a 1oz, 999.99 gold sovereign?  Me neither.

You can thank me now for removing the temptation from everyone.  🤣

image.thumb.jpeg.43e71e592a2e03202db3d7891042dab5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f200be1d4bc0e5caadac6b15520b9f74.jpeg

Never seen a 999 sovereign because it isn't a sovereign but nice coin 

9 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Never seen a 999 sovereign because it isn't a sovereign but nice coin 

🙄 Some people...

If you want to get all technical, the wording on the COA is... ambiguous.

Oh, and it's 999.99.

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

6 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

🙄 Some people...

If you want to get all technical, the wording on the COA is... ambiguous.

Oh, and it's 999.99.

Not being awkward ambiguous it just not a sovereign you know that 

2 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Not being awkward ambiguous it just not a sovereign you know that 

As I said it's a nice coin only 500 mintage and a great price, chards are bumming people for over 2,100 quid for this coin 

Edited by Leonmarsh

16 minutes ago, theman73 said:

How on Earth everybody can make such nice pictures?

Did I have two left hands?

I'll take it as a compliment.

2 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Not being awkward

It's your thing, own it.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

37 minutes ago, theman73 said:

How on Earth everybody can make such nice pictures?

To answer you specifically, I believe @DrDave is going to provide a tutorial / series on photographing previous metals.

In the interim, I am happy to give you a few tips, if you want to message me.