• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rhodium is on Fire - what’s up

I have been told 'Industry does not need Rhodium to such high prices and are not buying'.   It's up to you if you believe the comment.  I personally am suspicious of the price, the price stinks of someone who has cornered the market or a bank who has been caught naked short!  

Get in on the action if you want but do not get burnt!  

I expected the drop in value with chinas recent problems and low car production. But it never happend ? Which shows its current strength.

With all the new regs in place i don't see it droping for a year or 2 when demand is met (shouldn't drop to much). Plus Africa has been having troubles with the mining that is helping prices.

But it shouldn't have dropped so low years ago it's only because car company's have been scamming the the emissions tests for so long.

Now palladium looks to be to high and platinum to low ? 

I believe Rhodium/Palladium prices can keep going up so long as the economy does not decline. Alas when it does I suspect their prices will plummet sharply since they are mostly used in the automobile industry and jewelry. And during economic downturns those sectors tends to get crushed.

12 hours ago, zhoutonged said:

Either a dealer or he's pulling your plonker 🤥Ask him who's the mystery buyer bidding the price up if it's not "industry"? then take a picture of his stupid face and post it here. LOL

Why are you in the know?  Or do you follow trends?  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Thread

I have been watching the price rise & I have two bars I could consider selling. Only to established Forum members & I guess this thread is the best place to find one. I know many sources in Europe don’t have any bars & the order time is likely to be months. 
i have a fully intact Baird 1 ounce in package 

also a Cohen mint 1oz . This did not come in a package and as interested members will know Cohen has not been producing for some time so it’s probably c2000. I would fully expect anyone purchasing would want to have either both verified somehow. 
my bars are in safety deposit & I was not expecting to sell/offer so no pics to hand but that could be sorted. 
The spread price is big so something Would need to be agreed perhaps at the BUY  ( but without the uk VAT ) & maybe no one is interested but apart from 1g coins nothing has been on eBay for some considerable time & I don’t want to go that route. 
I am a collector & the bars are part of my PM / element collection assembled over the last 8 years. 
anyone interested in owning some Rh can reply here. I have positive feedback on TSF & eBay under this name But note, only as a buyer. I have never sold anything. 
anyway. If it’s of interest, reply here or drop me a note. If not then my collection is intact 

thanks Cliveb13 

• 5 months later...

Rhodium now at $23,000 per ounce. 

Those that bought at $900 in 2016 and have held on until today - have had the greatest precious metal return in the last 5 years by far.

Only two questions left - can it go higher? and when is it time to sell? ( Just think - if you had one and sold it today - you could buy a 10 oz pamp gold bar with room left for a 100 oz pamp silver bar.  - shocking) 

Hi @Pampfanet al on this thread 

I did  buy some Rh  in 2015-2016 for element collection & the attached PM collage for my wife, & having completed & being pleased with myself (smug) I decided to do another for me. And maybe one for my kids. 

but I got distracted & just collected non-Ag PMs

so I have been very lucky indeed & sold 2 Rh in October & have 2 more. I didn’t want to sell but the threat of cgt changes made it inevitable

so I have two left & love the idea of a big piece of Au or something else. 

anyone want to make me an offer. 

since the PM prices went sky high the collage has been packed away in a safety deposit box which is a real shame . 

anybody else been holding Rh over the last couple of amazing years ? 

Keep safe. clive 

Edited by cliveb13

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 06/04/2021 at 20:00, Pampfan said:

Rhodium is close to $30,000 now.  What a crazy ride in this precious metal.  Where will it end up?

So with Rhodium apparently going down in flames I have to ask the question "what's up?"

In 5 months it's dropped from what seemed to be a fairly stable $25k/oz down to $15k/oz, and has now plunged below $10k. Anyone know the story behind this?

4 hours ago, FoolzGold said:

So with Rhodium apparently going down in flames I have to ask the question "what's up?"

In 5 months it's dropped from what seemed to be a fairly stable $25k/oz down to $15k/oz, and has now plunged below $10k. Anyone know the story behind this?

My 2 cents:

Chip shortage has affected the auto industry, less demand for RH and PD push prices down

I thought that too. I ‘hold’ two ounces of Rh but not as an investment , I am a pm collector do I need to have at least a bit of the rarest. The rise of BEVs does relate to Rh up trend & the cars cannot be built without chips so there is much reduced need. Kitco does have any ‘stories’ about Rh one way or the other & it’s market is a reflection of the demand 

I am following it though as it’s interesting. Pt is under £672 now & close to half the Au price 

I did wonder whether something like this would happen, and it also puts me off buying any platinum or palladium as all three (Rh, Pt and Pd) are mostly used in catalytic converters (80% of rhodium production goes into cats, according to wikipedia!).

In the future, when most vehicles won't have or need catalytic converters, it's surely only a matter of time before they all go down even more?

At least the 1oz Platinum Britannia coin has a face value of £100 to fall back on if it gets really bad :D 

I don’t think he sold it on here, but I think he did sell it. It was 1/2 Oz Baird if I recall. 

i sold one 1oz but after the ridicule I didn’t dare try & sell it on TSF. Not the right place. Some Pd pieces have sold on here recently though so there is some interest. I bought a 2017 USA 1oz piece which is really nice & the first year the US Mint issued a Pd. At this rate I can afford a Proof 

CB 

4 hours ago, daca said:

My 2 cents:

Chip shortage has affected the auto industry, less demand for RH and PD push prices down

I have a "hunch" this will all change after furlough finishes. Disruption in the supply chain is currently being paid for via government. I think a lot of firms maybe stock piling. This is just a theory tho.