• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Milk spot on my Britannia

Silverstackeruk

22 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Just out of curiosity....hearing all the comments on silver 1ozcoins..new and old....MILK SPOTSoftenoccur on these coins...So my question is...is it really worth stacking these coins that go from bunc,proof to having milk spots.....Or,,,,just stick to GOLD????????

Personally I would go for a diversified portfolio - so a bit of everything 🙂

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True..that's what I try n do..but I'm going off silver tbh...the prices that are charged especially for new commemorative coins,sets...with a risk they could milkspot in 3-6months!!!@  I know it doesnt happen all the time but Gold is deff the way to go I'm thinking...

3 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

True..that's what I try n do..but I'm going off silver tbh...the prices that are charged especially for new commemorative coins,sets...with a risk they could milkspot in 3-6months!!!@  I know it doesnt happen all the time but Gold is deff the way to go I'm thinking...

the milking was mainly from pre 2019, the canadian mint changed its polishing mixture which seemed to cause it...i collect. Ritannias qnd some of my older ones have spots on them and the only way will be to polish them off and destroy the luster but there seems noway to protect them, slabbing does not guarentee stopping it...its history of bad selection from the mints but destroying the coins would be even worse..maybe the grading companies wilo one day allow the surface to be removed to hold the shine on these specific coins

On 24/09/2017 at 23:12, Kman said:

I think it pretty much destroys the value, I will give you £100 for it as I am a nice guy :P 

Joking aside, lets be honest, most of them are likely to develop milk spots 

I personally don't think it massively harms the value, If you put it on Ebay I'm sure you would still get a fantastic price 

I bought a coin on eBay and the seller neglected to tell me it had milk spots and from the pictures he sent it wasn’t clearly visible I resold the coin and listed all the milk spots and actually made £4 on it so it’s not guaranteed to devalue it but I think it also depends on the type and value of the coin. 

On 24/09/2020 at 19:52, CollectorNo1 said:

Same here.

I dont think it's very responsible or professional that Mints can produce these coins whether its Britannia's or more expensive commemorative coins like the queens beasts and other expensive sets know that there is a very good choice they will be spoilt by milkspots soon after you purchase them..sure they should be regulated for quality control etc...???

9 minutes ago, STONE said:

Seems like you'll have far greater success of putting microscratches and scruffs into mirrored finishes following these methods than permanently removing milk spots for the long term. If all milk spots were was a surface contaminant, wouldn't NCS be able to easily remove them in a non-destructive way? 

7 hours ago, STONE said:

Its the cleaning agent they use, they don't rinse the coins long enough so then the annealing process bakes the cleaning agent into the coin...

Bakes "into" the coin is sort of my point. You can possibly remove the surface spot through a mildly abrasive process, but the contaminant is likely to leach back out to surface over time. Not worth the risk of damage, in my opinion.

Has anyone successfully removed a milk spot and not had it redevelop months or years later?

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 11:12, CollectorNo1 said:

I dont think it's very responsible or professional that Mints can produce these coins whether its Britannia's or more expensive commemorative coins like the queens beasts and other expensive sets know that there is a very good choice they will be spoilt by milkspots soon after you purchase them..sure they should be regulated for quality control etc...???

Quality control from the royal mint does it exist? Dents, scratches, malformed uncomplete images and milking on proof coins from them suggests that they're taking the money that can be a substantial amount without any quality control letting their customers down.

More needs to be done about this or more people will stop buying like i have!

The brits were made from Britannia silver with few problems! 

On 25/09/2017 at 12:09, Clens92 said:

Any milkspots will destroy the value a numismatic coin.  I would advise that you sell it sooner rather than later; once one milk spot appears more often follow.

My pre-1947 silver coins don't have milk spots. Something I never have to worry about, when stacking .

I've seen spots on just about every type of silver coin in my collection.
Rarely spotted are Perth Mint coins, American Eagles, Krugerrands and Libertads.
Occasional on Philharmonics.
Concerning spotting on most 999 silver from the UK Royal Mint but very rarely on Britannia silver.
Bad spotting on Somali coins and most Canadian Mint which is primarily 9999 silver.

I have also experienced milk stains - the same contaminant as spots - but covering over half the surface area of a coin.
My worst were UK Britannias sadly which I decided to sell for scrap.

As for removing - no chemicals or acid dips removes these spots and stains.
The only way of removing is mechanical polishing by removing the surface layer.
Whether you notice cleaning / polishing depends on the method used and the texture of the surface to begin with.
Most methods will leave obvious detectable surface conditions and some will add hairline fine scratches.
I decided to get rid of many Canadian Commemorative proof coins that were 20-30 years old because nearly all of them developed the odd spot.
All these coins had highly polished mirrored backgrounds and a mm sized spot was a blemish.
Lost a decent percentage to cost due to this problem and will avoid buying any further proofs and numismatic silver having learned a lesson.

Archived